Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"imagent" process eating CPU and memory

Hey everyone!

Today I had an issue with my 2012 13" Air running OS X 10.8.1. I only had Safari and Mail open, when suddenly the fans kicked in and the Air started to heat up. I noticed a process in Activity Monitor called "imagent" which was eating about 30-40% of CPU, and did "force quit" on it and the Air started to cool down. However I noticed that around 20 GB of my SSD space were gone. This was solved with a reboot.

I have found many issues like this, "imagent" process eating CPU and swapping to SSD. But what is this thing? Which app is it connected to? How to prevent it from doing such stuff in the future?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 2:02 AM

imagent is Instant Messaging agent. It suddenly started to eat up all my resources today. I had to restart the computer because everything became unresponsive by the high cpu and memory usage. Messages and Facetime app was not opened. But Mail was opened... so maybe that is the culprit.

3 replies

"imagent" process eating CPU and memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.