Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express not connecting to internet

I am switching from Clear to Comcast hopefully for faster, more reliable service.

Connected the Comcast modem directly to my Mac Mini, activated...voila on the internet.

Plug in Airport Express so that the Mini and my MBpro can share internet and a printer.

AE powers up,gives the green light, but no internet service.

System preferences>network states that WiFi has a self-assigned IP address of 169.254.xx.xx

that will not connect to internet.

With each reset the number changes slightly but still no internet. I tried a manual number or 192.168.xx.xx

and WiFi connects but still no internet.

1-1/2 hours with Comcast provided no help other than to call Apple. Is this really that difficult?

With Clear it was a snap, but I am at the edge of the coverage zone and it sometimes fades.

Please guide me through the steps.

Thanks,

JM

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 10:01 PM

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

1. Power-down the modem, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  2. Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  3. Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  4. Power-up your computer(s).

If the above steps do not solve the problem, start over with step 1 above, but then perform the next steps between steps 1 & 2. above.

1. Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Internet broadband modem.
  2. While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref:Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  3. After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  4. Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Internet broadband modem. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  5. Continue with step 2 in the first set of steps.

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the base station for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2012 10:01 PM in response to jmartinarch

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

1. Power-down the modem, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  2. Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  3. Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  4. Power-up your computer(s).

If the above steps do not solve the problem, start over with step 1 above, but then perform the next steps between steps 1 & 2. above.

1. Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Internet broadband modem.
  2. While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref:Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  3. After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  4. Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Internet broadband modem. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  5. Continue with step 2 in the first set of steps.

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the base station for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

Sep 23, 2012 9:33 PM in response to jmartinarch

I was stuck for 4 days with this same problem. Went to my ISP and got a new modem. Went to my local apple store and spent $$ to have them check and tell me my 802.11n was in good shape so the problem was with my IP. Was on the phone on and off for two days with no results. Should of looked here first. I did what Tesserax said to do and it was happy dance time. Every thing works great. Thank you, Thank you -pete in yakima-

airport express not connecting to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.