Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used AppZapper to uninstall MacKeeper - then used MK's own uninstaller when prompted - please help

HI

Whilst away on holiday recenlty, a relative has installed MacKeeper on his 2009 iMac (he's using Lion). He thought it would be good to use before upgrading to Mountain Lion. He has asked me to look at the machine as it's now running slow.

Thankfully, he did the wise thing and to uninstall it when I told him to using AppZapper. However, after doing this, MacKeeper's own unistaller prompt screen appeared and he told me he followed it's on-screen instructions to uninstall again. I've never used the software on my Mac Pro as have read so many complaints of the last few years and was horrified when he told me he had.

If AppZapper has deleted MK's files (total of 24MB), is it safe to use the Mac without any rist of further problems. Or, would it be a good idea to tell him to security wipe his hard drive after downloading Mountain Lion and making a DVD to run from startup.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 2:23 AM

If there dosent appear to be any trace of macKeeper, then should be fine. If still seams to be running slow, try the following:

1. Open Disk Utility and repair permissions

2. Open Finder and delete the following folder content:

/Library/Caches

~/Library/Caches

3. See if Spotlight has finished indexing data ( spotlight could take a good few hour to index after installing the new OS)

4. boot into safe mode (hold down Shift when you start your mac until apple logo with a progress bar appears) after booting into OS restart your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2012 2:23 AM in response to AppleMacCider

If there dosent appear to be any trace of macKeeper, then should be fine. If still seams to be running slow, try the following:

1. Open Disk Utility and repair permissions

2. Open Finder and delete the following folder content:

/Library/Caches

~/Library/Caches

3. See if Spotlight has finished indexing data ( spotlight could take a good few hour to index after installing the new OS)

4. boot into safe mode (hold down Shift when you start your mac until apple logo with a progress bar appears) after booting into OS restart your Mac.

Aug 29, 2012 4:16 AM in response to AppleMacCider

AppZapper, and other apps like it, don't work all that well and can cause other problems. They will often miss stuff. If you don't know how to uninstall a particular application, rather than using something like AppZapper, you should Google it ("mac uninstall softwarename").

In the case of MacKeeper, see:

http://applehelpwriter.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malwa re/

Note that, although many people refer to MacKeeper as malware, it actually is not. It is crap software made by a company that uses extremely unethical marketing practices, and should under no circumstances ever be used as certain functions (like the "cleaning" tools) can damage your system and even destroy personal data, but it's not actually malware.

Used AppZapper to uninstall MacKeeper - then used MK's own uninstaller when prompted - please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.