Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turned off computer during update

Hello, I have a really nasty problem that I haven't been able to solve after looking for a solution for weeks.

I have a MacBook Pro with Bootcamp installed, right now I'm writing from Windows 7. A few weeks ago, I turned on my laptop as usual, and an update started. I wandered off while it was updating, and long story short, friend shut down the laptop by holding the power button.

Now I can't use OSX. When hit alt after turning on computer, I no longer get to choose between OSX and Windows 7, all I get is Windows 7.

When I try to access my HFS/OSX partition (E:) from Windows 7 explored, I notice that many folders that should be there are missing, and most of the times I get a blue screen memory leak error when going inside certain folders.

Re-installing everything isn't an option, I really need to re-establish my OSX, because I have a ton of valuable files in there, like music, which is sorted among thousands of folders with special file naming, and I totally don't want to use a disk recovery program to recover my information with no folder structure or order...

Has anyone been trough this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 3:28 AM

Version of OS X you were using?

20 replies

Aug 29, 2012 3:57 AM in response to thebluesky

There is NO guarantee of anything. As it is now you have NO data as you can not access the OS X partition. So you can leave it like that and continue to use Windows as your main OS on your Mac or do as others have suggested and Reinstall Snow Leopard.

Your choice.

thebluesky wrote:

What if I had some folders hidden in my applications folders? Saved there from Windows, they were hidden there due to being confidential stuff. Is there a guarantee that no folders will be rewritten? Also, I shouldn't lose any of the stuff in my Bootcamp partition, right?

Thanks!

Turned off computer during update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.