Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Location Services use cell towers when Cellular Data is off?

If I turn off my cellular data on my 3g Ipad, will Location Services still be aided by cell tower locations to improve position accuracy?

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 5:46 AM

9 replies

Aug 29, 2012 7:12 AM in response to pvonk

I understand the GPS chip will work, but will the cellular chip still communicate with cell towers to aid in the positioning if I turn "Cellular Data" off. Does it just stop sending data or does it turn the chip off and stop communicating with cell towers for other purposes such as Location Services? I know that if I am out of sight of the GPS (and away fro WIFI), it will rely more heavily on the cell tower locating functionality for positioning.

Aug 29, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Kent Island

The iPad either uses GPS (for 3G/4G models) or Wi-Fi hotspots and cell tower triangulation (for all other models) to determine the location. Turning off location services will not only prevent an app from determining the iPad's location, it can also save battery power.

http://ipad.about.com/od/ipad_basics/ss/How-To-Turn-Off-Location-Services-On-An- iPad.htm

Cellular data on the other hand I am not sure. I would think if you turn off communication with your cell data provider(towers etc) it would shut off your ability to be tracked by location. Since its not communicating with the tower(since its off), then it cant determine your location. I could be wrong on that though. And GPS is being used by your cell data as well. So I would think that would go off as well.

AGAIN could be wrong! I just know disabling location services shuts down all of them.

Aug 29, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Laxman25

Thanks Laxman25, but I think you might have misread. I am not turning "Location Services" off, I am just turning "Cellular Data" off... I am just trying to see if turning off Cellular Data completely turns off all communication with cell towers or just paid data transfer....

To explain my application.... I use my Location Services with a navigation app on a boat. I never have a real need for a data plan, so I keep off Cellular Data so it doesn't ask me to buy a plan every time I turn on my Ipad... I take the Ipad below with me at night and use it as a backup if the boat moves while I sleep (App has an alarm).. I know that it cannot rely heavily on GPS satellites and Wifi for positioning down below. I am trying to see if it is still using cell towers to update positions, or if I have to turn on "Cellular Data" to allow this functionality....

Thanks....

Does Location Services use cell towers when Cellular Data is off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.