Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strikethrough in Notes?

I am using the "Notes" application to make lists for packing and I would like to be able to cross out items as I put them in the car. I am wondering if I can use the "strikethrough" text or if I should figure out a different method. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 13 inch

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 11:21 AM

Make your strikethrough a simple keystroke:

1. Create a word with a strikethrough using Format->Font->Show Fonts to bring up the font inspector as Marko said. Highlight a word and apply the desired strikethrough.

2. Next, using the highlighted word you used the strikethough on..... Select Format->Font->Copy Style (option-command-C)

3. Apply your strikethrough as often and wherever you want to using the simple keystroke (option-command-V)

Note: This doesn't preclude you from copying and pasting text too and from the clipboard at will.

The Style will remain in the clipboard until you. Any text you copy paste can be changed without interfering with the style.

sidenote: not sure if the style will stay if you close notes, but I always have mine open so strikethrough is always available by keystroke. No more surfing through menus every time.

I can even apply strikethough to other text such as in stickies after copying the style!!! Haven't tested it with all apps however.

Mountain Lion 10.8.5

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 11:21 AM in response to mrepp22

Make your strikethrough a simple keystroke:

1. Create a word with a strikethrough using Format->Font->Show Fonts to bring up the font inspector as Marko said. Highlight a word and apply the desired strikethrough.

2. Next, using the highlighted word you used the strikethough on..... Select Format->Font->Copy Style (option-command-C)

3. Apply your strikethrough as often and wherever you want to using the simple keystroke (option-command-V)

Note: This doesn't preclude you from copying and pasting text too and from the clipboard at will.

The Style will remain in the clipboard until you. Any text you copy paste can be changed without interfering with the style.

sidenote: not sure if the style will stay if you close notes, but I always have mine open so strikethrough is always available by keystroke. No more surfing through menus every time.

I can even apply strikethough to other text such as in stickies after copying the style!!! Haven't tested it with all apps however.

Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Jan 2, 2017 3:38 PM in response to Eric Root

I see.

Again a never thoroughly tested software full of bugs (which will never be fixed by Apple like, e.g., in Preview, which still –since years– opens files in the same window although you've chosen "open all files in a new window")

I can underline with cmd-u, but how to strikethrough – any suggestion/keyboard shortcut? I can use the formatting options with google notes, but not with AppleNotes. Crazy.

Will check other discussions too, but I think that the only way is going on to avoid Apple software. Looks always good at the first glance, but you'll get disappointed by functionality with certainty. OSX is fine so far (thanks to Terminal), but other Apple software...?

pictures:

when the note file is chosen you see the formatting options, but...

User uploaded file

... as soon as you go to the text feld, these options disappear (except color)...

User uploaded file

... but in google notes it works (but I want the checklist 😉 )

User uploaded file

Aug 13, 2017 11:34 AM in response to rseijas

Then you can add it to the TextEdit Paragraph style menu, where it will become available to you in Notes — without the need for Word.

1. Type any word in TextEdit.

Format : Show Fonts

1. Place a single, strike-through using the strike-through button on the Font Panel toolbar
    2. Close Font Panel
  2. You now have a selected word with a strike-through.

Click the TextEdit Paragraph Style toolbar button

1. Click the Show Styles... menu item. A sheet will descend.
    2. Your word with strike-through will appear. Click Add To Favorites
      1. Give it a name (e.g. Strike-through)
      2. Do not check the options.
      3. Click Add.
  3. You now have a Strike-through menu item in TextEdit Paragraph Styles menu.
  4. Follow my August 12th instructions on using this TextEdit Paragraph Styles sheet to select Strike-through in Notes.

Aug 10, 2017 11:53 AM in response to mrepp22

Had the same question: Where are my strikethrough formatting options in Apple Notes.

The solution I made up goes as follows:

1. open a Apple Pages or Microsoft Word and create a new document
  2. enter some sample text (just word or two)
  3. highlight that text and apply the strikethrough format, like applying bold or italics
  4. copy the newly strikethrough formatted text (being sure not to grab any unformatted characters or spaces in front)
  5. close Pages or Word without saving sample document
  6. open Apple Notes and make a new note
  7. hit return a couple times to move down on your new note, and then paste strikethrough sample
  8. continue with typing whatever text you want to carryon the strikethrough formatting
  9. to type text without the strike, you'll have to copy and paste one of the unformatted returns at the top of that new note (that's why we created them). that will set the formatting precedent for the text you're about to type

If you want to keep this style for future use:

1. highlight a sample of the text in Notes
  2. right (or control) click on the selection
  3. go down to Fonts over to Styles... and let off
  4. make sure Document Styles button is selected
  5. click add to favorites and name it "Strikethrough." I chose to include font as part of saved style
  6. click add, and now it should appear for future uses in your styles offering

It's a clunky workaround, but it works.

Good luck.

Chris Leeds

Well Connected Life - Apple Services

Aug 12, 2017 7:59 AM in response to mrepp22

One does not need to use another application to copy/paste a strike-through style into Notes.

1. Launch TextEdit, and click on the left-most paragraph styles icon in the Toolbar. Verify if there is a strike-through item in that style menu. You can access this style from Notes without TextEdit.
  2. In Notes, select the text to receive the Strike-through.

Right-click on that selected text, and from the secondary menu, choose Font : Styles...

1. A styles panel will slide down in Notes. Click Favorite Styles, and then choose Strike-through from the selector.
    2. With Strike-through selected, click Apply, and then click Done.
    3. Your Notes text now has a Strike-through.

Aug 27, 2017 2:04 AM in response to mrepp22

This doesn't do exactly what you're asking, but if you're using strikethrough to mark items as "finished", you can do this instead:

- Highlight your list of to-do items

- Click Format in the app menu

- Click Checklist

Now you can simply check off items which are finished. Not quite as good, but for checklists/other lists this basically serves the same purpose, and is also easier for others to do if you're sharing a note.

Aug 18, 2014 3:46 PM in response to Marko Vallius

Hi there,

This used to work for me, but now my font inspector doesn't include strikethrough. Is this the case for anyone else? When I pull up fonts, I get 4 dropdowns: Collection; Family; Typeface (only options here are light or bold); and Size. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have the strikethrough option in Notes. Does anyone know how to get that option back on the Font Inspector?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2015 3:19 AM in response to electronic_cat

Not seeing strikethrough anymore.

User uploaded file

Has it been lost in the relentless march of "progress"? Fallen by the wayside along with "it just works," reliability, customer service and all that other quaintness our mighty corporation has dispensed with?

Someone please correct my Sunday morning cynicism and show me where I'm missing the obvious. Thank you.

Nov 30, 2015 12:25 PM in response to mrepp22

There is a round about way to do this.

But first let me confirm that the strikethrough option is indeed missing in the Fonts dialog available through Notes as @SaltSeaShark has shown us.

But it is still available in the Fonts dialog of the Pages. Following is not the ideal solution, but it works well.

1. Open a new document in Pages and type a random word.
  2. From Format > Font > Show Fonts (or Command-T), bring up the Fonts selection dialog
  3. This dialog has strikethrough option just right above Family tab (none, single, double, color)
  4. Select the random word and apply strikethrough style
  5. Highlight the striken-through word and copy using Command-C
  6. Switch to Notes and paste using Command-V.
  7. Now that you have brought the strikethrough style into Notes, you can copy this style using Option-Command-C
  8. You can apply this style to other words in Notes by highlighting them and then using Option-Command-V
  9. To stop applying strikethrough style, you need to copy a different style of your choice from other words in Notes and apply to newer textUser uploaded file

May 25, 2016 9:16 AM in response to kakaman

Hey -- just wanted to thank you for this workaround. It isn't convenient in the slightest, but it works, which is the idea, so I appreciate it!

I get the feeling that the reason the strikethrough option has been omitted from the Notes app is because Apple wants to "encourage" people to use Pages instead, and this trend really bothers me. I don't know if anyone in a decision-making position at Apple will ever read this or not, but just in case:
Apple, we've bought your product and we're using your OS (often extolling its virtues to anyone who will listen), so please stop trying to dictate (either directly through marketing, or indirectly via purposeful omission as part of a design choice) how we should use what we've bought! You wanna show us some neat use-cases for some of your apps? Cool, I'm all about that. Clever ways to use seemingly simple things are always cool. However, though I get that Notes is supposed to be a simple app, removing a formatting option as useful as the strikethrough just makes things more difficult. One doesn't have to be a brain surgeon to realize that when in need of a quick way to take notes or create a shopping list, folks may just open the Notes app, and in such cases, being able to strikethrough items that you've already purchased/tossed in your cart is essentially the most important feature of an app that supports this type of situation!
Bottom-line: I'm not going to open the Pages app on my iPhone or MBP to write my grocery list. I may use the "Reminders" app, because it's got a handy checklist feature, but I'm honestly just more likely to use the Notes app. Even with the recent update to the app, I'm used to it. It's a quick way to help me do simple things, and stripping features out of it to push me to use an app that I'm not used to is a good way to **** off a loyal customer.

Thanks so much.

--Mitch

Strikethrough in Notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.