Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target disk mode is not detected

I have a Mini running the latest Snow Leopard (and also a MB Pro - same OS rev.). The same (non)result is happening on both.

I am trying to connect, via Firewire, to an old PB G3 (running 10.3) - after plugging in the Firewire cable I start the PB-G3 in target disk mode. Its screen shows the firewire logo.

However, system preferences on the Mini (or MBP) does not show the Firewire connected to anything.

The Mini and the MBPro use different Firewire cables (the MBP uses the old 400-400 cable style & the Mini needs the 800-400 style cable). So I don't think it's the cable. Also, the Mini can use that cable to successfully mount a Firewire hard drive. That drive mounts and System Preferences on the Mini shows that it is happy with that drive under Firewire.

The PB-G3 is operational - i.e., I can boot it up successfully. I just want to mount it as a target drive to copy off some files.

Any ideas how I can get the PB-G3 to mount in Target Disk Mode via Firewire?

Mini + Air11, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhones, iPods, iPad, MacBook Pro (10.6), PB G4 (10.4), ATV

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 11:24 AM

5 replies

Aug 29, 2012 11:39 AM in response to keriah

keriah wrote:

Any ideas how I can get the PB-G3 to mount in Target Disk Mode via Firewire?

If the G3 shows the FW icon on the screen, all you have to do is connect it to one of the others with the appropriate FW cable, and it should pop up on the screen as a FWHD. If not, check Disk Utility and see if it's recognized and, if so, that it's mounted. If not, try mounting it. Never had such an issue.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661 for more info.

Aug 29, 2012 11:46 AM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

If the G3 shows the FW icon on the screen,

It does.

all you have to do is connect it to one of the others with the appropriate FW cable, and it should pop up on the screen as a FWHD.

and that is precisely what I reported is NOT happening. It does not mount -- not on the Mini and not on the MBP.

Disk Utility does not "see" it. Neither does Disk Warrior. And System Preferences/Firewire does not show anything connected.

The FW cable is good because when I use it to connect to a HD, that shows as expected.

Indeed, I have read the KB article. Yes, I have never had this happen. That's why I'm reporting/asking about it.

Aug 29, 2012 12:10 PM in response to keriah

Sorry, I was mislead by your reference to System Preferences, since Network->FireWire has never been activated on my machines and all FWHD connected externals display properly. Have you tried connecting the MBP in TDM to the mini or vice versa to see if that'll work? If no one else pops in, then it's time to call Apple support, since I'm out of ideas.

Target disk mode is not detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.