Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organizing/Renaming Files In itunes

Hi,

I am using windows, and having around 1300 tracks of different singers. I have personlized the tracks in different folders. I have also renamed all the tracks according to my choice. recently i have started using Iphone/itunes, when i transferred my music to itunes, it all renamed itself, i.e. itunes is giving the names of these tracks according to their Original names and info (from website or CD), whereas I have arranged and renamed all the tracks according to my choice.

Please advice what should I do, as its very difficult for me to find the tracks with itunes info, as many tracks dont have even names, they have some numbers rather, given by website or CD.

Thanks,

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 12:35 PM

4 replies

Aug 29, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Syed Sajjad

The first thing to do before importing any more media is to go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced and turn off the options to Keep iTunes Media folder organized and Copy files to the iTunes Media folder when adding to library.

ITunes doesn't care about the physical layout of the files, it just reads the tags. If you have meaningful information encoded in the file path it is possible to extract it and supply it to iTunes. If your files were laid out in conventional form ..\Artist\Album\## Name then my script TagFromFilename would do the trick but I'm guessing things aren't so easy.

tt2

Jun 12, 2013 12:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Do you have a script that renames the file as per the artist and song name in itunes?

e.g. in iTunes I have a song called "Go" by the Artist "Moby" but the file is called 123abcd.mp3

I would like a script that would take the info from iTunes Artist and name to rename the file to "Moby_Go.mp3"

Is there anything like this for windows? I used to have it on my old mac which broke 😟

Jun 12, 2013 1:30 PM in response to davscanlon

If you let iTunes consolidate and organize the files, which is the easiest way, then it would end up as <Media Folder>\Music\Moby\Moby\03 Go.mp3.

Or you could use the Auto-Organize Files... feature in MediaMonkey before you add things to iTunes if you have a specific layout in mind.

Or you could take my ConsolidateByMoving script and adjust it for your needs.

I'd recommend the first option though in practice I use a custom version of the last. This means I sometimes spend more time managing the library than listening to it which isn't to be recommended. If your files are tagged and accessed via a library then the filenames themselves are pretty much irrelevant.

tt2

Organizing/Renaming Files In itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.