Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reset keyboard settings?

Need help please.

Keyboard has some keys not working.

Tried many things without luck. Tried asking in this community without success. Now, need to know how to reset the computer's keyboard settings back to factory/original settings - Just the keyboard, not the entire computer. PLEASE & THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

backgroung history, FYI, if you need it:

>>>what doesn't work: space, cap locks, right option button, down arrow, tab

>>>what's been tried:

-created new user (still with the problems, so it's a computer-wide issue)

-different keyboard on this computer...works fine

-this keyboard on a different computer...works fine

SO: it's not the keyboard or the computer - it's only when they are together

-SMC & PRAM resets, 3 times each

-"disconnected" and removed keyboard (with +/- symbols) and reconnected and repaired it with the computer

-keyboard viewer used and the keys did NOT highlight when pressed (reminder: keyboard works fine with a different computer)

-"slow keys" = off

-"mouse keys" = off in the universal access settings

-no keyboard shortcuts are set in the bluetooth keyboard shortcut section

-"speech" is not set for "speak selected text when the key is pressed"

-language/text is set for english

If I can't find out how to fix the issue, I'll try resetting it to original settings and see if that does anything. The keyboard works, just not when paired with this computer (and again, a different keyboard is fine on the computer - it's the 2 together)

Thanks so very much!!!

imac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 6:54 PM

Try these resets:

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

The 5 second timing is important to a successful reset.

PRAM RESET

Zap the PRAM

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2012 6:54 PM in response to 123pleasehelpme

Try these resets:

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

The 5 second timing is important to a successful reset.

PRAM RESET

Zap the PRAM

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Aug 29, 2012 5:24 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi and thank youDIJohnson!

Definitely not tired of trying ideas - just didnt have any more to try. Any & all are welcome!!!!

What I can tell you now...no there aren't any 3rd party items or new bluetooth/wifi items (it's my parents iMac and they only use internet/email and pages and NEVER put anything to the computer, don't own smart phones or ipod/ipads etc - stereotypical older generation folks that use it for minimal/basic purposes)

I didn't think to mention but yes, I tested batteries and also tried with brand new batteries.

All updates are current and sorry about the signature line...it is running 10.6.8

I thank you so very, very much!!!

I cannot get to their computer tonight to do the safe mode start but will tomorrow.

Is there a better day/time to write back when you might be monitoring questions?

Thank you so much!

Sep 9, 2012 11:20 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Sorry for the delay (dog got injured so I couldn't get to the computer for a while)

I tried the safe boot and still had the problem. Any other suggestions?

I found something on their computer that had me concerned...they accidentally downloaded something they shouldn't have: "mac keeper" (I think it's one of these things that claim to keep the mac running at it's best, etc)

If this is the problem...I know how to simply delete it, but how do I actually remove it from the computer instead of simply deleting/removing from sight?

Many thanks to anyone who can help!!!!

Aug 29, 2012 3:56 PM in response to 123pleasehelpme

Hi.

Have you installed any little Bluetooth or Wifi widgets or applets on the affected iMac? Perhaps some little smartphone sync or utility software? Maybe a printer driver? Do you have any other 3rd-party Bluetooth accessories that have drivers loaded that might be conflicting with the Apple Bluetooth driver?

You might try booting the machine with nothing else plugged in or attached... no ext drives... no iPod/iPads... no printer. See if that has any affect.

Try booting in Safe Mode and see if that does anything. Safe Mode disallows many drivers and caches upon startup. Perhaps there is some conflict that might be identified there.

FYI... What is Safe Boot?

Also, don't forget fresh batteries. I know you say the keyboard works fine w another computer... still, weak batteries could be part of the problem.

Also, there have been a couple wireless keyboard software updates, like this one, for example... About Wireless Keyboard Update 2.0 Have you checked to see is your software is up to date? Have you looked into firmware updates available for the keyboard?

You signature line indicates your OS as 10.6. Perhaps you would consider updating your machine to 10.6.8 and see if that alleviates the issue.

I know I've thrown out a few things here to consider. You sound like you're tired of troubleshooting.

And as for your specific Q regarding resetting keyboard settings... afaik there is no specific reset procedure for the wireless keyboard, as the modifiers all reside in the system software of the affected iMac.

I hope this is somehow helpful.

Sep 9, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Paul_31

Thanks - not sure how to reply to both of you @ same time but this is for you both...Thank you!!!

Based on what you know about this MacKeeper, would it possibly be the cause of keys not working on the computer (despite a different keyboard working fine on the computer)?

Also, it was downloaded but never "installed" or running, if that is helpful information.

Lastly, anything else I should/could try for the keyboard keys not working? (whether related to MacKeeper or not)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Sep 9, 2012 3:53 PM in response to 123pleasehelpme

MacKeeper wouldn't affect your keyboard but could hinder overall performance. If you never installed MacKeeper just drag it to the Trash and empty same. About your Keyboard, seeing as it works with other Macs and other keyboards work with your Mac, you have re-paired your devices, put in fresh batteries, done all the resets. Really, I don't have any more ideas.

how to reset keyboard settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.