Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Server VPN won't startc

I just upgraded a MacMini running 10.6.8 client to Mountain Lion (10.8.1) and then downloaded Server.app.

All I need it to do is run basic file sharing and VPN, however, the VPN service never starts up.

Every time I flip the switch in Server.app to start VPN, it immediately turns back to the "off" position and the following lines print in the system.log

Aug 29 20:00:56 server.catsareawesome.com com.apple.SecurityServer[20]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.privilege.admin' by client '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/CoreServices/Serve rManagerDaemon.bundle' [91] for authorization created by '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/CoreServices/Serve rManagerDaemon.bundle' [91] (2,0)

Aug 29 20:00:56 server.catsareawesome.com com.apple.SecurityServer[20]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.privilege.admin' by client '/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.apple.serverd' [63] for authorization created by '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/CoreServices/Serve rManagerDaemon.bundle' [91] (100000,0)

Aug 29 20:00:56 server.catsareawesome.com com.apple.SecurityServer[20]: Succeeded authorizing right 'com.apple.ServiceManagement.daemons.modify' by client '/usr/libexec/launchdadd' [388] for authorization created by '/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.apple.serverd' [63] (100002,0

Aug 29 20:00:56 server.catsareawesome.com com.apple.serverd[63]: ERROR: SMJobSubmit: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kSMErrorDomainLaunchd error 9 - The job dictionary specifies that it is disabled.)

Also of note, if I try to do anything using serveradmin in terminal, I get the following error:

server:lib temp$ serveradmin

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libservermgrcommon.dylib

Referenced from: /usr/sbin/serveradmin

Reason: image not found

Trace/BPT trap: 5

That libservermgrcommon.dylib file is definitely not in /usr/lib

I would really appreciate any help. 😐

Thanks

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 6:08 PM

1 reply

Jan 28, 2013 2:24 PM in response to Jason Bennett

Hi Jason

I was getting the same behavior after Apple support had me delete some plist files to get Airplay going. I was also getting the following error:

the error occurred while processing a command of type 'writesettings' in the plug-in 'server vpn'

I went into ~/Library/Preferences/ and /Library/Preferences/ and deleted every plist contating the word server. I had to re-set up my server (meaning walk through some intial steps) but all of my settings were still there after that and everything started working again.

Just a thought, obviously try at your own risk but it worked for me.

Kellen

Mountain Lion Server VPN won't startc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.