Good to know - too bad, though, when one does a search online at the Apple Store for Snow Leopard or Lion, that there isn't a note of advisement that is generated about how to attain 10.6 or 10.7. Having the 1-800-MY-APPLE number listed and advisement to purchase by phone would be handy.
As it turns out though, my calling AppleCare resulted in free discs to 10.6 or 10.7 being mailed to me - so, can't complain!
This was extremely helpful. After clicking through menu after menu to purchase ANYTHING past Leopard, I still had no idea if my computer was even upgradeable. I bought my compuer early 2007.
Any way I read that MANY people are not pleased with upgrade.
TODD...how has your computer worked with upgrade? I need to know before I sabotage the good relationship I currently have with my computer
Natalie------->willing to buy software, not a new computer!
Glad some of this info has been helpful! I think my macbook pro may have been from 2009 which may make upgrading less problematic than a 2007 version. What OS X version are you planning to upgrade to? I'm ultimately planning on upgrading to Mountain Lion (v10.8); but first, I have to upgrade to either Snow Leopard (v10.6) or Lion (v10.7). My 2009 Macbook Pro seems to pass all of the system requirements as listed here:
If you're planning on upgrading to 10.6 or 10.7, I don't think your 2007 model will have a problem. But, if you look at the link above, the system requirements for upgrading to 10.8 (Mountain Lion) may be different than what hardware your computer has. Check it out.
I haven't yet upgraded from 10.5.8 (Leopard), as I'm awaiting the arrival of the OS X discs the AppleCare rep is having shipped to me (should arrive this coming week) - so, I have nothing to report re: any qualitative problems in the upgrade. But will let you know when I do!
If you need to upgrade to either 10.6 or 10.7 - I couldn't find either one on-line at the Apple Store, or at their actual/physical Apple Store - try giving AppleCare a call at the number I listed in the original post: 1-800-275-2273
Or give Ralph's suggestion, above, a try: 1-800-MY-APPLE
let us know how it goes!
Thanks for all of this information!
I have an iMac currently running at 10.5.8 / 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I know (thanks to you) I need the Snow Leopard first, but I'm scared because I just love my computer and as the saying goes...If it aint broke, don't fix it! The only reason I am even looking into upgrading is because I am a gamer (not a serious one, but one non the less) and my GOC is World of Warcraft. The long anticipated update requires a least OS X 10.7 operating system.
I have used an Apple Computer since my very first ...My Quadra 604 back in 1995. (Reflecting....aaaahhh!)
I am anxiously awaiting to hear how your upgrade goes. I am going to call the number you gave me to see if I too can get Snow Leopard sent to me. I am going to get Mountain Lion as well, if all goes well! Good luck!
Just got done with the upgrade to 10.6.8 - got the Snow Leopard DVD (v10.6.1) sent to me from AppleCare a few days ago, installed it today, then used Software Update to download a bunch of updates.
I have to say, it is quite a bit more zippy and speedy than 10.5.8 - my understanding is that Leopard (10.5.x) was the last OS usable by Macs that had either one or the other of the PowerPC (Apple) processor or Intel Chip; so, lagged since it had a lot more programming in the OS to work for both chips. Snow Leopard is programmed to run on only Macs w/ the Intel chip, thus making it a "lighter" OS and faster.
I haven't yet upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8) - which I could do even without upgrading to Lion (10.7) - so, can't tell you about the quality of the latter (10.7), hence not sure how your World of Warcraft might run in 10.7...
But, so far, with 10.6.8 - I haven't noticed any problems, but is still early in the discovery process for me - so will let you know if you're interested.
Good luck with the updates/upgrades! Did calling AppleCare work out for you? Or did you have to call 1-800-MY-APPLE to buy any upgrades?
I was directed to your post via some friends of mine because I am in the same situation that you were in August. I will be getting the software from Apple Care as soon as I can pay the $20 for it (no freebies for me, unfortunately). I will then have to do the second step of the upgrade to Mountain Lion, skipping over Lion all-together (which is good to know that I can do that). Luckily, the memory on this iMac is more than the standard install so that I can do this.
Have you upgraded any further? If you have, I would LOVE to find out what to and how it worked/is working for you!! Thanks for your lead...