Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV won't play my downloaded movie

I just got an Apple TV 3 a couple weeks ago, have already successfully downloaded one movie and watched it with no problems. I downloaded another (Hunger Games) movie this week and when I turned my Apple TV on to watch it, it said "Hunger Games is now ready to watch, click to play" however when I click to play it says it will be ready to play in 28 hours or so. The movie is completely downloaded so I am not sure why it won't play. I have tried resetting my Apple TV and unplugging it and the router. Puchased all movies through iTunes. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Thank you!

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:54 PM

12 replies

Aug 30, 2012 6:47 AM in response to jenmhewitt

Use Google’s Public DNS Server To Fix Apple TV Streaming Problems

1. Navigate to Settings >> General >> Network and select Configure TCP/IP.

2. Select “Manually” next to Configure IP.

3. Dont change the IP address or the Subnet Mask and Router Address. Just click "Done".

4. Set the DNS Address screen with the following: 008.008.008.008 and click “Done.”

You should now be able to stream more smoothly on your Apple TV.

If this works for you, please buy a cup of coffee for a complete stranger or some other selfless, random act of kindness.

Aug 30, 2012 8:30 PM in response to jenmhewitt

Sorry I meant movies - Purchased (not TV shows). If you are in the Movies section then you are streaming from iCloud and not using home-sharing. Go to Computers if you want to go that route.

For internet streaming

You need to check speedtest.net

6mbps required for instant 720p

8mbps for 1080p

You can change to SD in the settings

Make sure DNS is set to ISP's (Settings - network - congifure TCP/IP - Automatic)

Sep 27, 2012 2:22 PM in response to BenFinklea

BenFinklea

Re: Apple TV won't play my downloaded movie

Aug 30, 2012 6:47 AM (in response to jenmhewitt)

Use Google’s Public DNS Server To Fix Apple TV Streaming Problems

1. Navigate to Settings >> General >> Network and select Configure TCP/IP.

2. Select “Manually” next to Configure IP.

3. Dont change the IP address or the Subnet Mask and Router Address. Just click "Done".

4. Set the DNS Address screen with the following: 008.008.008.008 and click “Done.”

You should now be able to stream more smoothly on your Apple TV.

If this works for you, please buy a cup of coffee for a complete stranger or some other selfless, random act of kindness.

Like (0) Reply

This method worked for me! Thanks so much I am glad to be done with this issue.

Oct 6, 2012 5:52 AM in response to BenFinklea

I've got ATV 3rd gen, with the same problem: movies in iTunes did not play via my network (wired or wirelessly) Following BenFinklea's advice of changing the DNS to Google's public DNS servers (008.008.008.008) did the trick. Movies play almost instantly; no buffering time, no spinning wheel of boredom, just movie. Thanks for the tip!

For clarification if you are attempting this solve, when navigating to Settings > General > Network > Configure TCP/IP on your AppleTV, the DNS Address screen is the fourth setting; DO NOT change IP Address, Subnet Mask or Router address.

Apple TV won't play my downloaded movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.