Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to open appleworks documents in numbers or anything else?

I have some old database file made in appleworks. Is there anything to which i can converty them? Ofcourse i cannot run appleworks in os 10.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:48 PM

9 replies

Aug 29, 2012 11:14 PM in response to BFG47

i cannot run appleworks in os 10.

It depends which version of OS X you. The last to be able to run PowerPC applications through the Rosetta emulator is OS 10.6.

I run Appleworks 6 on OS 10.6.8.

If you have 10.7 or 10.8 you are stuck, but it might be worth you checking what version you have.

At the top of your screen click on the  icon and select About this Mac. What version does it say?

Aug 30, 2012 8:30 AM in response to BFG47

AppleWorks will not run in Lion or above, though it will run perfectly well in Snow Leopard once you have Rosetta installed: some people have had some success running Snow Leopard in emulation and running AppleWorks in that, but I've no idea how reliable or possible this is, particularly with recent Macs.

•Word Processing documents can be opened directly only in Pages (AppleWorks 6 only).

•Draw Documents can be opened directly only in EazyDraw (the more expensive version from their website, not the cheaper one from the Mac App Store, and you will need v4.0 'Retro' not the most recent version) or Intaglio (though this appears not to be able to handle very complex drawings).

•Spreadsheets can be opened directly only in Numbers.

•Presentations can be opened directly only in Keynote.

Nothing will open AppleWorks databases or Pain documents. The only way to save a database is to export it as ASCII text and import it into a database program such as Filemaker Pro - of course you lose all the formatting and calculations - but obviously you have to be able to run AppleWorks in the first place to do this.

This five-page article looks at 'Abandoning Appleworks' in some detail:

http://rfwilmut.net/aw

Aug 30, 2012 9:46 AM in response to BFG47

I wrote this in response to another thread just about the time you posted your question.

There is nothing other than AppleWorks that can open AppleWorks or ClarisWorks databases. You will have to have access to a Mac with Snow Leopard or earlier & AppleWorks 6, preferably 6.2.4 or 6.2.9, to open those databases. You will then have to decide whether to export as plain text which will give a tab-delimited file or copy & paste into an AppleWorks spreadsheet. You will lose any calculations & summaries.

I moved all of my newer databases to Numbers by first opening them in list view in AppleWorks, selecting all & copying then pasting into an AppleWorks spreadsheet & saving that. Numbers then opened them without a problem. This also preserved any text formatting.

And here is another answer I've used frequently over the years.

The iWork applications - Keynote, Pages & Numbers - can only open AppleWorks 6 presentation, word processing & spreadsheet documents, respectively. They will not open any other type of AppleWorks 6 files or any AppleWorks 5 or any version of ClarisWorks files.

There is nothing other than AppleWorks that can open paint or database documents. Database data can be copied & pasted into an AppleWorks spreadsheet, saved & opened in Numbers or saved as ASCII/plain text & opened in most any spreadsheet, database or word processing program. Paint documents can be saved as one of many different formats to be opened in most image editing programs. I recommend using PICT for best results but PICT is no longer the default image type for Macs. You can still use Preview in 32-bit mode or GraphicConverter to open them & convert.

User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2012 2:27 PM in response to BFG47

Thanks everyone. What I was able to do was to install Snow Leopard on a thumb drive and boot from it. Then I was able to run appleworks and open the db files. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to save them as ascii files. However, I was able to past the data into new aplwks spreadsheets. I was also able to use print to save them as pdfs. Going back to 10.8 I was able to open the spreadsheets with numbers and the pdfs have all the information item by item instead of the list view. So now i have all my data. Just need to integrate the numbers lists and the images that are in Pdf but at least everything is in the same system. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Aug 30, 2012 2:49 PM in response to BFG47

Plain text & ASCII are the same as far as exporting from AppleWorks, you get a tab-delimited file.

Because I do have the educational CD of AppleWorks 6, I have installed the Windows version in CrossOver & it does work even though it's "unsupported." But AppleWorks is just one reason I keep one Mac in the house running Snow Leopard.

User uploaded file

is there a way to open appleworks documents in numbers or anything else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.