Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the deal with people posting their personal information on here?

I am getting sick and tired of clicking the "Report this Post" button.

People need to seriously watch what's details they are posting!

The other day I reported a post that had full name, address, phone number, email, serial number, etc.

It's starting to get frustrating.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 11:39 PM

8 replies

Aug 30, 2012 12:02 AM in response to b j t

The probability is that they are newcomers to the forums or young people without the gravitas of some of the older members.

And then, there is the element of trust. Apple in general exudes trust ... and more experienced contributors, like yourself, help to maintain that. If the pay off means we have to put ourselves out a little, it surely can't be that bad; especially when the principal reason for contributing should be ... to help others.

Aug 30, 2012 1:01 AM in response to seventy one

seventy one wrote:

The probability is that they are newcomers to the forums or young people without the gravitas of some of the older members.

I guess I never really looked at it from that point of view.

seventy one wrote:

And then, there is the element of trust. Apple in general exudes trust ... and more experienced contributors, like yourself, help to maintain that.

😊

seventy one wrote:

If the pay off means we have to put ourselves out a little, it surely can't be that bad; especially when the principal reason for contributing should be ... to help others.

Yes, you are correct, it can be a bit annoying reporting a post to be edited, but in the long run, we are still trying to help someone with a problem that they are having.

I just want people to realize that these forums ARE a public place and that the info they post may remain on the forums indefinitely if not removed by a host, and that everyone can read what is posted.

Just because these are Apple forums shouldn't make people lapse in their better judgement of posting personal details.

We are all here to help, but no one in here knows any one else's background (i.e.. You don't have to have the police do a background check to become a member)

Aug 30, 2012 6:35 AM in response to b j t

It is not just here, many people are extraordinarily naive about electronic communications in general. Many of these people are the same people who will click an affirmative response to any query dialogue that pops up in a web browsing session. It is not necessarily that they are unintelligent, just ignorant or very inexperienced of how internet forums and web sites really work. It is also my opinion at least, that many young people, despite actually growing up with computer technology and the internet since childhood, show a completely cavalier attitude towards personal and identity information. I know the old joke of how the young'uns are so tech savvy relative to us old(er) folks, but honestly, very often that is just not true (yeah, they know the basic interactive interface backwards and forwards, but their understanding ends there). Either that, or they just have not developed that healthy level of general distrust and cynicism that experience gives us 😉

Look at how many people who went through the sign up process here still post questions clearly thinking they are addressing Apple Corporate Support. Add in possible language barriers and differences in social contexts, and people can get even more confused. Further add in frustration or other strong emotions from dealing with a stubborn or perplexing situation, and what gets hurridly typed here can end up being just about anything.

Aug 30, 2012 6:55 AM in response to Michael Black

Michael Black wrote:

Either that, or they just have not developed that healthy level of general distrust and cynicism that experience gives us 😉

I agree 100%, with age comes not necessarily trusting what you read or what some one has said/typed as fact.

Either that, or I am getting too old 😟 😀 😉

Michael Black wrote:

Look at how many people who went through the sign up process here still post questions clearly thinking they are addressing Apple Corporate Support.

If I had $1 for every post I have read that IS addressed to Apple, I would be able to retire 😉

Aug 30, 2012 7:56 AM in response to b j t

All of these posts... threads are scanned by Google. Once somebody post something it's out there. There are a few web site that scan these threads. Put my name into a Google search and there I am... WOW... now you need to type my name in as 'david m brewer Apple'. At one time I had to explain that I wasn't the David M Brewer who was executed in Ohio.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.