Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Messages only for text?

So I got Mountain Lion and like the idea of using Messages to communicate, but so far, I can only figure out how to use it for texting. Is this right? Does it not have any Skype like capabilities to do things like talk or video? I thought it did, but maybe I misundstood. If it does, hope someone can explain how because I can only get it to open Facetime, which is a seperate app. I thought Messages was an all in one thing.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 11:19 PM

13 replies

Aug 29, 2012 11:32 PM in response to mende1

Okay, so this is very confusing. First time I lauch the app I am encourage to login with my Apple ID, but it turns out that this limits the functionality. What the...? You know, when you use Skype, they don't have different kinds of logins to use different parts of the program, so why is Messages so wierd like this?

Anyway, forgive my rant, but I hope you might be able to help me with this. You've listed four different ways of signing in to use Messages properly. I don't know what a Jabber account is, or an AIM. Obviously the Google Talk and Yahoo is something from each of them. So which do I use? And if I use Google, then does that mean I can only comunicate with Messages users logged in with a Google Talk account? And why the heck does the Apple account not function fully in Messages? I mean, Apple make Messages, so why would they do that? Anyway, doesn't matter why, but very odd. I just want to use Messages to it's full capability.

Aug 30, 2012 5:21 AM in response to Kappy

hi kappy,

i didnt know how to reach you but replying to this, sorry!!

so it seems that you are an expert in mackbook, i really need your help, i have a problem with my trackpad, its not functioning probably, its moving erratically.

i searched the internet, and they say if i reset my SMC it might help, so i have done that, it worked fine for about 30 minutes but after that it went back...

i can see that yous using OS X 10.7.4 like mine, so do you have any idea what could be the problem, please help me i dont whta to do!!

Aug 30, 2012 6:21 AM in response to Cartoonguy

Messages is an app that integrates multiple chat services in one app. Apple's iMessage which is only a texting service, AIM (AOL instant messenger, Yahoo, Google, Jabber, and Bonjour. If you have any of these other accounts you can set it up in Messages Preferences along with your Apple ID. If in iChat you had no way of making an audio call or video call then you will have no way of soing this in Messages. Apple hasn't eliminated any capabilities of iChat they have only added the ability to send iMessage. You are misinterpreting what people are saying here and the functionality of the application.

Aug 30, 2012 9:49 AM in response to cbs20

Hey Rielle1, glad I helped you hook up with Kappy. Don't forget to invite me to the wedding. 😉

cbs20, thank you for the explanation. That helps. Only thing is, I think there is some misunderstanding about how I, as a user, come to work with Messages and what I expect. When I am a new user to Skype, the process of registering and using it is simple and clear. With Messages, not so. You rightly explain that this is because it allows you to use different accounts. So that's good, but confusing to the novice user who just wants it to work (remember that old Apple adage, "it just works!"). You sign up with an Apple ID and it doesn't function fully and there is no information within the app to tell you that.

So here's what I am understanding from what you have explained:

• Using Messages as an all in one communication tool, chat, voice and video, requires logging in with one of those other accounts.
  • It doesn't matter which acccount. They all do the same thing, apart from Apple, which is only for chat.
  • With say, a Google account, I could only talk to other Google Talk account users, so if I want to communicate regularly with a certain person, we should both get a Google Talk account.
  • Only purpose of using Apple ID is so that you can communicate with other people connected already using an Apple ID, like Iphone users, for instance.
  • Essentially, if I want the best functionality with Messages, it's better to use anything but Apple ID if the person you want to talk, chat, or video with has the corresponding service. Messages acts merely as an interface to these other services.
  • Absolutely no difference between all the services apart from Apple, as far as Messages is concerned.

Do I have this right? Thanks.

Aug 30, 2012 1:41 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Using Messages as an all in one communication tool, chat, voice and video, requires logging in with one of those other accounts.

I prefer to think of Messages as an application that brings all of your communication tools together.

It doesn't matter which acccount. They all do the same thing, apart from Apple, which is only for chat.

I'm not sure I only use my Apple ID and AIM. I have a Google account which I will probably add today. I know AIM and Google allow voice, video, and text. Apples iMessage only allows text.

• With say, a Google account, I could only talk to other Google Talk account users, so if I want to communicate regularly with a certain person, we should both get a Google Talk account.
  • Only purpose of using Apple ID is so that you can communicate with other people connected already using an Apple ID, like Iphone users, for instance.

Yes to both of these.

Essentially, if I want the best functionality with Messages, it's better to use anything but Apple ID if the person you want to talk, chat, or video with has the corresponding service. Messages acts merely as an interface to these other services.

Yes and no, you can be logged in to all accounts at once. As I said earlier I currently am logged in to my Apple ID for iMessage and my AIM. Later I will add my Google and be logged in to that as well as my 2 other accounts. So, log in to every chat account you have that is available in Messages.

Aug 30, 2012 3:57 PM in response to cbs20

Thank you cbs20. You've really helped me understand this. I think Apple makes assumptions based on users who are not new to Messages or Ichat. I have only used Skype before, so didn't expect what seemed like strange options. Now I get it. I can be logged into multiple accounts at once and communicate with everyone, so in that sense, it's really good because I can communicate with Google and Yahoo people, etc on one single app.

Thanks so much for making that clear.

(Rielle1, don't worry about it 😉)

Is Messages only for text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.