Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Genius and iPhone diagnottics via WiFi?

I had to being my iPhone 4 in for service, and the Aplle Genius served me at a location adjacent to the main Genius bar. At one point he sadi that he had to connect to Apple (in store) wilress WiFi network to run diagnostics on the phone. In the past, the phone was always connected via a physical cable for diagnostics.

After I left, I thought abou this practice, and now I am concerned.

Questions:

1) Is diagnostics via WiFi something that is officially a part of Apple policy?

2) What information is transfered during diagnostics? The Apple WiFi is not an encrypted netowrk.

Thnaks for any information you can provide.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 4:25 AM

6 replies

Aug 30, 2012 4:44 AM in response to DCIFRTHS

Yep.

Same data that would be gathered using USB. However, Apple is expanding this so that if a customer brings in a phone, Apple determines the phone needs to be replaced, they backup the phone to iCloud, then restore all the data to the new replacement phone. Customer walks out with replacement phone containing all of his/her data. The old phone is then wiped & the iCloud data deleted. Neat.

You don't have anything to worry about. Your data is safe. Eventually this will be the only way things are done.

Aug 30, 2012 5:05 AM in response to wjosten

I am actually very paraniod...

Do you think they backed up my data? I didn't have them restore anything, and they didn't mention anything about backing it up. I left with a blank phone. If they did back it up to iCloud, would they use their own "account" or my account?

I am still unclear as to what info the collect when doing diagnostics - think there is any way to determine what they are collecting?

He held the phone so that I couldn;t see the screen when he was connecting to the WiFi network - he told me what he was doing, but I didn;t see it. He then lowered the phone so I could see him navigate the screens

so he could get the serial number.

Aslo, I am a bit nervous about the old phone getting wiped.

Aug 30, 2012 6:10 AM in response to DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS wrote:

Do you think they backed up my data?

Nope. Had they done so, they would have restored such.

I am still unclear as to what info the collect when doing diagnostics - think there is any way to determine what they are collecting?

Same hardware/software stuff they collect when using USB...no personal info is collected.

He held the phone so that I couldn;t see the screen when he was connecting to the WiFi network - he told me what he was doing, but I didn;t see it.

They input a passcode in order to do this stuff, that's why you were not shown the screen.

Delete your old phone from your support profile & it will be removed from iCloud.

Genius and iPhone diagnottics via WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.