Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mounting external USB CD drive on Mac Book Pro

Hi all,

Hoping you can help.

My late 2008 MacBook Pro has been near bulletproof for me however the one weakspot (besides old OS) is the CD drive.

It can function, intermittantly, but not reliably enough for me to install my new Snow Leopard CD and upgrade the IOS.

So I have been trying to mount an external USB CD Drive - the MacBook Air Superdrive.

I can see it in the System Profiler, it draws 500 mA current, which apparently is all it requires.

However I cannot see it in Disk Utility.

I hear it move and power up on reboot, but the CD drive simply never mounts. It should mount, there is a CD I've accidentally left in there.

'tis very annoying.

Is there any way to get this external CD drive mounted properly?

Appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Many thanks...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mounting Macbook Air Superdrive

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 6:18 AM

6 replies

Aug 30, 2012 6:38 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Which drive?

In the built in drive, I can occasionally insert a CD and it will mount and read okay, but most of the time it simply spits the CD out - it also does this with CDs it has played happily with for a while (such as my Snow Leopard CD which I've been trying to install from ;P )

In the external drive, yes, there is a CD in there, however it was in there from when I had the CD drive plugged into my Mac mini server (server now broken, so ejecting CD is difficult - that's a whole other kettle of fish...)

I don't understand why Apple System Profiler can see the external CD drive, and it reports no issues, but yet Disk Utility does not.

Do I need to find a way of disabling the built in drive somehow before OS X will recognise a different CD drive?

Aug 30, 2012 8:56 PM in response to distractedED

Hi, distractED.

The problem may be that the MacBook Air Superdrive is not compatible with all Mac computers.

The tech specs for the unit list the System Requirements as...

• MacBook Pro with Retina Display

• MacBook Air computer

• Mac mini computer

You may want to look for a different USB superdrive. Try here at OWC

I hope this is helpful.

Oct 13, 2012 1:01 PM in response to distractedED

Hey distractedED,

I'm just wondering how the repair to your internal disk drive went? I am having the exact same problems as your self both with my disk drive and trying to update my OS X.

Was the job expensive and really stupid question but did you lose things like photos and/or music during the process of repair? If I'm getting mine fixed should I be backing these things up on an external hard drive (probably should anyway - but not sure I can afford a repair job and an external hard drive at the same time).

Sorry for the stupid questions...

Nov 4, 2013 1:59 AM in response to distractedED

Hey distracteED

you probably don't need an answer to this questions anymore but i'm sharing it anywayse incase other are still looking for help on this.

Go to this website to help get your external disc / optical drive working on Macbooks that doesn't support superdrive

http://macenstein.com/default/2011/07/how-to-get-your-external-super-drive-worki ng-in-lion/

Mounting external USB CD drive on Mac Book Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.