Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot place file in sidebar of Mac OS X Lion

in Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x) I was able to place a file on the sidebar and when I clicked on it, it would open. Mac OS X Lion does not allow placing a file ( a .doc file, for example) in the sidebar. I know I need to convert an alias to a certain type of alias that works with Lion (and Unix), but I cannot find the instructions in the "Communities" any more. Thanks for any help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.5GHz Intel core i5

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:33 AM

I found this answer elsewhere in the communities. Works fine.

It is possible to place files in the Sidebar under Lion, but you can't just drag-drop them there like you used to be able to. To place a file in the Sidebar:

1. In a Finder window, navigate to the file you wish to place in the Sidebar and select it.

2. From Finder menubar select Finder > File > Add to Sidebar, or press Command-T. The file will be placed in the Sidebar, where you can click-drag it up and down to locate it as you wish.

Thank Richard, who posted this.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2012 9:33 AM in response to mancinrob

I found this answer elsewhere in the communities. Works fine.

It is possible to place files in the Sidebar under Lion, but you can't just drag-drop them there like you used to be able to. To place a file in the Sidebar:

1. In a Finder window, navigate to the file you wish to place in the Sidebar and select it.

2. From Finder menubar select Finder > File > Add to Sidebar, or press Command-T. The file will be placed in the Sidebar, where you can click-drag it up and down to locate it as you wish.

Thank Richard, who posted this.

cannot place file in sidebar of Mac OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.