Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble downloading applications.

I have recently been given someones old Mac and have no CDs or much information about what version this is. In trying to download the new itunes to sync with my iPhone I was instructed that I needed Mac OS 10.5 but I seem to be striking out in finding this download. I have tried 10.5.1 but this does not seem to work either.

Please help!

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 9:40 AM

3 replies

Aug 30, 2012 10:18 AM in response to seventy one

It looks like I have Mac OS X version 10.4.11 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. When I click on software update it says that there are no updates available which I know is not true. I know that I need to update but at the low version I am at now I know I can't update to the Mountain Lion version. The next step seems to be the Leopard which does not seem to be available for under $200 and I would like to update fully to the Mountain Lion eventually so I don't want to have to pay that cost for something that I will be upgrading anyways.

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2012 10:35 AM in response to fleminge

I don't think you have an option but to find a copy of Leopard on eBay or Amazon.

Having said that, you will eventually have to get to 10.5.8 before you can upgrade further to Snow Leopard (10.6.3 and 10.6.8).

I very much doubt your machine can get as far as Mountain Lion.

I suspect you may have to buy that elusive (or expensive) copy of Leopard ... or progress to a more up to date machine, preloaded with Snow Leopard. If you take the latter option you can always consult through these columns as to whether the machine you intend to buy will meet the minimum specs to meet your aims.

Minimum specs for … Snow Leopard. Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard - Read the Technical Specifications

Hope you find this helpful.

Having trouble downloading applications.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.