Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" print so small??

In my ignorance I thought when I upgraded from a 21.5 with only 256MB graphic to a 27" with 1G and much higher resolution I would get a BETTER viewng experience. I didn't!! I have 16 pt. set in Firefox right now but I see about 4 pt.on the screen.

Makes for consuderable eyestrain, particularly since I spend most of my time editing photographs using Adobe Lightrrom or Photoshop.

True .. if I drop down from 2560x1440 to 1920x1200 everything is larger. but not sharp.

Other than more real estate, I can't see that I improved my viewing.

I understand pixel dilution but this isn't spreading the same number of pixels over a larger space.

I would appreciate suggestions .... trolls can skip, please.

Ed

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 10:13 AM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Edwin Law

I feel your pain Edwin.

With the 27 inch screen iMacs set at it's max. resolution, menus and text are too small to comfortably read.

Here's an easier way to deal with this.

What I did, it it made a huge difference for me is to set the display to a different resolution.

In the Prefernces Pane under Displays, I set my iMac's display resolution to 1920 x 1080.

By doing this, the Apple Menu bar is of more proportional size to the screen.

From the OS X Finder, you can now adjust the size of your icons and desktop text to suit you.

You can scale the Dock to any size you wish. Mine is set to be, somewhat smaller size than the default Dock size with icon magnification on.

You may find the 1920 x 1080 resolution more to your liking.

I am very comfortable with this size.

Try it.

Good Luck!

;)

Aug 30, 2012 3:34 PM in response to Edwin Law

Edwin Law wrote:

Haven't found anythng other than cmd+ for Firefox, though.

That also works in Safari 5.1.7 and below and, I think, in Safari 6, but I hate that abominatioin. AFAICT, there's no need to change the screen's resolution, just change the Appearance text settings to suit your needs (gone in Safari 6, User uploaded file. This is what I'm using in the earlier versions:

User uploaded file

BTW, there's a fix for the Safari 6 loss:

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote at MacInTouch:

Full example for proportional font:

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2StandardFontFamily 'Lucida Grande'

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2DefaultFontSize 14

Full example for fixed width font:

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2FixedFontFamily Monaco

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2DefaultFixedFontSize 11

27" print so small??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.