Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with a 16:9 aspect ratio in Aperture

I've been shooting photos in a 16:9 aspect ratio but when I import the Raw images into Aperture they show up as 3:2. How do i fix this so I can see my whole photo?

Im using a Sony A65 and I can see them as 16:9 as im shooting. but for some reason Aperture auto crops them. Maybe there is a preference im missing?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 10:51 AM

Could you confirm that Aperture is cropping your photos? More likely the software in your camera crops the 16:9 image from the larger 3:2 image captured, and shows you this as a JPG. The RAW file is still 3:2 -- which is what Aperture shows you. (Some programs might crop the RAW; apparently Aperture does not.) To get the 16:9 framing shown in the JPG you'll have to crop the RAW yourself (or record and import JPG). You'll have to Lift & Stamp this if you want to do it as a batch operation. Iirc, you cannot create an Adjustment Preset containing the Crop adjustment.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- reworded first sentence.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2012 10:51 AM in response to emmalowmax

Could you confirm that Aperture is cropping your photos? More likely the software in your camera crops the 16:9 image from the larger 3:2 image captured, and shows you this as a JPG. The RAW file is still 3:2 -- which is what Aperture shows you. (Some programs might crop the RAW; apparently Aperture does not.) To get the 16:9 framing shown in the JPG you'll have to crop the RAW yourself (or record and import JPG). You'll have to Lift & Stamp this if you want to do it as a batch operation. Iirc, you cannot create an Adjustment Preset containing the Crop adjustment.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- reworded first sentence.

Aug 30, 2012 11:24 AM in response to emmalowmax

As separate topics, Aperture and RAW present difficulties. Tackling them at once is taking on a lot.

Here is a brief guide to the parts of Aperture. Many have found it helpful.

Here is a brief intro to RAW. I should re-write it.

Read this message the ones following.

Welcome to our sun-lit clearing in the orchard. Feel free to start new threads with any questions.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- shuffled around.

Nov 18, 2012 4:56 PM in response to emmalowmax

I found this post and looked further into this. When I shoot photos in RAW in a 16:9 ratio they import into Aperture as 3:2. Not sure what's causing this. They appear on the camera screen correctly. BUT, when I shoot in JPG at 16:9 they appear fine. It seems like something with the RAW conversion.

I shoot on both a Sony A77 and A65. They both do the same thing when brought into Aperture

Any ideas on this one?

Nov 19, 2012 11:01 AM in response to nikop

It's doing what it's supposed to do. The camera cuts off part of your image to generate the JPEG. The RAW file gives you exactly what the sensor sees, and doesn't crop anything. You can go ahead and set up a preset in Aperture to crop to a 16:9 ratio, but just be aware that RAW files will be the same no matter what ratio you set in the camera.

Problems with a 16:9 aspect ratio in Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.