Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock indicator lights randomly stop working in Mountain Lion

I noticed that the indicator lights in the Dock for showing that an app is open will randomly stop working. Currently, it is showing the lights for Finder and Outlook 2011, but I also have Chrome, Firefox, and iTunes open but the lights are not on for those applications. I've deleted the Dock preferences file and restarted the computer. The lights will usually start working after a restart, but will at some random point stop working again. I have been unable to duplicate this issue at will so am unsure as to when it stops working.

Anyone else experiencing something similar or have a solution?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 10:58 AM

11 replies

Aug 30, 2012 11:09 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I'll give that a try, but I'm not sure that will work; when I deselect it, the lights in the Dock go off. When I select it, the exact same lights (Finder and Outlook) go on, but the others (Chrome, Firefox, and iTunes) still stay off, indicating to me that it is still referencing the incorrect information about what lights to turn on or off. Since deselecting and reselecting that check box causes the same behavior to occur, I think the issue may get fixed not because of deselcting and reselecting that check box but because the restart would have fixed it anyways.

Aug 30, 2012 5:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

Applications with no windows open may quit automatically in the background. That's normal.

AFAIK, none of the ones the OP mentioned have autotermination or sudden termination programmed into therm. I'm with Matt Neuburg on this:

…"everything" about this behavior is wrong: the apps shouldn't vanish from the Dock and the Command-Tab switcher, they shouldn't quit so soon, and they shouldn't quit when there's no RAM pressure.

Dock indicator lights randomly stop working in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.