Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing : Lion -> SN

Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up Screen Sharing of my Mac at home, running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, and a mac at work running 10.7.4 Lion.

• The computer at home is connected over wifi to a Time Capsule, which is connected to the cable modem.
  • The computer is set to use DHCP, and the Time Capsule is set to capture the Mac Address and reserve a specific IP address (192.168.0.100) for the computer. The Time Capsule also has port forwarding set up for the Apple Remote Desktop service (which includes port 5900 for screen sharing) to be directed to 192.168.0.100.
  • The computer at home is set up to allow screen sharing, remote login, and remote management (all services) for all users of the computer in the "Sharing" preference pane.

The computer at work is my local machine and the computer at home is my remote machine.

When I go to CMD+K (Go -> Connect to Server) and enter in "vnc://###.###.###.###" to connect to my home ip address I am asked to enter in my username and password. However, no matter what user/pass combination I try, nothing works and I get "Authentication failed" error messages.

I have tried the short username (firstname) & login password of the remote machine, the long username (firstname lastname) & login password of the remote machine, my login creditials for the local machine, nothing works.

What am I missing?

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 12:13 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2012 2:39 PM in response to Fred_B

Does System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing -> Allow Access for: allow you to connect?

You DO NOT need "Remote Management". Just "Screen Sharing". Remote Management is for the Apple Remote Desktop software which is intended for managing a classroom or office full of Macs. ARD is a for pay app, and is not necessary for just accessing a single or small number of Macs.

You should disable System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Management, as it can be working against what you are trying to do with Screen Sharing.

An alternative is to use TeamViewer.com or LogMeIn.com, both of which have a free mode for personal use, and both of them navigate home routers without you having to do anything.

Screen sharing : Lion -> SN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.