Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Hangs on Early 2008 Mac Pro

I installed Mountain Lion 12A269 on a freshly formatted disk on my Early 2008 Mac Pro. I have 10 GB of memory.

Once or twice a day, the computer hangs. I can move the mouse cursor, but can't click on anything and the keyboard is inactive. The dock doesn't raise when I move the mouse over it. CMD-OPT-ESC doesn't bring up the force-quit window and none of the menus work. All I can do is hold the power button in to shut down and then restart the computer.

There's no kernel panic -- the computer just hangs.

The console shows two System Diagnostic Reports:

Finder_2012-08-28-093935_Disk.hang

RPDLAgentHelperE_2012-08-16-14738_Disk.crash

Since it just hung a few minutes ago (08/30/12) I don't know if either of these files are relevant. Neither one is helpful.

I'm looking for suggestions for fixing this problem or additional troubleshooting. The computer just hangs -- there's no consistent action to trigger it. It's already resulted in a lot of lost work and productivity.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 12:17 PM

1 reply

Mountain Lion Hangs on Early 2008 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.