Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import MOD video clips into iMovie '09 from JVC Everio Camcorders

I am having an issue importing MOD video clips into iMovie '09 from various JVC Everio Camcorders.

I am using:

MAC OS X 10.5.8

iMovie '09 - version 8.0.6 (821)

The JVC Everio will be recognized by the Mac & by iMovie; iMovie will open the import video dialog box, and i can 'see' the video files on the camera. However, i cannot actually see what the video file is - i.e. the thumbnail is blank (this is not as it should be, and is the first sign of the problem).

If i select the clip and import it, the bar beneath the clip will fill up, and when full, it will tell me it has imported the clip. However, in the iMovie event that the clip was imported to, there is no video clip there.

On the Mac itself, if i navigate with Finder to where iMovie stores the event files, there will be a .MOV file there, which when played has audio but video. If it matters, i am using Quicktime Player Pro Version 7.7 (1680.25).

Also, i have been able to get these JVC Everios to work with this Mac in the past, but not for some time now. I am aware of workarounds using Handbrake and such, but i need for iMovie itself to be able to easily import the files directly from the cameras, as it should if working corrrectly. (i work in a school and all of the cameras & Macs are used by students, and the workarounds are just too complex and constricting for them to learn).

Finally, I have tried plugging the Everios via USB directly into the rear of the Mac, and had the camera's power supple plugged in, but still this doesn't work.

These are the JVC Everio Camcorders that i CANNOT import from:

GZ-MG130U

GZ-MG330HU

GZ-MS250BU

All files recorded in .MOD format

I CAN import from a Panasonic HDC-HS80

Files recorded in .MP4 format

I CAN import from a Panasonic AG-AC7P

Files recorded in .MTS format

It is not an issue with the JVC Everio Cameras, as I have no problem importing from all of the above cameras (JVC & Panasonic) into two other iMacs:

Mac OS X 10.7.4

iMovie '11 - version 9.0.4 (1635)

Mac OS X 10.6.8

iMovie '09 - version 8.0.6 (821)

Please help me out here! It's very frustrating that all the cameras work with the other Macs, just not this one!

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer!

Alan Buckler

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 12:21 PM

3 replies

Aug 30, 2012 3:10 PM in response to abuckler

The answer to your question depends on which model JVC camcorder you have.

Here are a few basics:

1. If you have a JVC HD Everio that records in the AVCHD high definition file format (.mts file extension), and you have an Mac with an Intel processor, (sound like you do) running iMovie '08 or '09, then it should be no problem. Simply connect the camcorder via USB and launch iMovie.

2. If you have a slightly older JVC HD Everio that records MPEG2 high definition (.tod file format), then it is easiest if you record in the special 1440CBR mode, and transfer your video to your Mac using an i.Link (Firewire Connection) using the "Playlist Dubbing" process which is explained in your owner's manual.

See also this post from Chris at JVC dated March 4, 2010 at the end of this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2341218&tstart=0

If you have further problems contact JVC.

Aug 31, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Klaus1

Thanks for the reply, but I am not having an issue with any JVC HD (High-Definition) Everio - only the SD (Standard Definition) models, and as included in the first post they are as follows:

GZ-MG130U

GZ-MG330HU

GZ-MS250BU

All of these Everios record files in Standard Definition .MOD format, which is what i am having an issue with.

The Mac has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and i understand how this is supposed to work - it used to work fine, and on my other Macs it still works fine, it is just that something has changed, or been re-configured/lost/corrupted and so i am hoping somebody will be able to help me troubleshoot what it is.

Cannot import MOD video clips into iMovie '09 from JVC Everio Camcorders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.