Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

broken aliases in mountain lion

I'm using 10.8.1 on a 15-inch MBP. Recently, I've been getting several repeatedly broken Aliases of folder on my desktop. My process is to create the folders on my local HD and then use the Finder option by right-clicking to Create Alias. I then move the Alias folder to the desktop and delete the word Alias. This has worked for me for years, but suddenly it's problematic on recently created folders. Even after I've "Fixed Alias". Has anyone had this experience?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 12:19 PM

13 replies

Sep 13, 2012 10:47 AM in response to Antoine Goddard

I've noticed issues with aliases in 10.8 that weren't a problem in 10.7 and earlier. I have aliases of folders on my desktop, created in the same way that you did, but I can't copy or move files by dragging them onto the alias icon. I also can't save files directly to the aliased folder from the save dialog in any application.

Both these methods worked fine in 10.7.

Sep 24, 2012 4:56 PM in response to Antoine Goddard

I'm getting the same problem.

Steps:

1. Create the alias.

2. Moving the alias to desired folder.

3. Renaming the alias, removing the "alias" text

4. Clicking on the alias from an application to save the file doesn't open the alias folder

Nothing happens. You can click on the folder, and click on it, and click on it. The folder will not open.

Append the text "alias" back on the folder fixes the problem but this seems very peculiar. Why would such an advanced OS need to have the "alias" text on a file? This functionality (shortcuts/aliases) has been in production for, gosh, over ten years. I don't understand why they'd limit the users from having to leave the "alias" text in the folder.

I just don't like seeing that "alias" text. I know it's an alias. I created it. That little arrow is telling me it's an alias.

Jan 17, 2013 7:59 PM in response to Darth

Kind of strange, and I cannot replicate it, but try this workaround.

Instead of "Make Alias," Drag the folder to where you want the alias, but before dropping it, hold down cmd+option. You'll see the badge change on the icon to the alias arrow indicating you'll create an alias instead of moving the folder. That alias will not have "alias" appended.

Jul 25, 2013 1:52 AM in response to jlilest

I had exactly the same issue with broken Aliases and posted here some time ago...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4157219?answerId=19493239022#19493239022

I did not try the Terminal prompts as suggested in my post. I opted to fix the aliases once a reboot took place and since then all has been well...

Maybe try:

Set up the aliases. Rename accordingly. Reboot. Search for all files (system included). Sort into kind and then go through your user generated aliases, using the fix button on the prompt that pops up.

Ta-dah!

Jul 25, 2013 2:05 AM in response to jlilest

Ahhh, that is something I haven't (yet) experienced... Truly odd behavioiur then...?

Although, have noticed that the OS in question is V 10.8.1, maybe an update to the latest may help. Although, each incremental update I have done has resulted in the same behaviour. Albeit, I am able to permanently fix my aliases with the reboot method...

Oct 30, 2013 3:58 AM in response to Antoine Goddard

This is a bit late this. I had similar problems, looked for an answer, and couldn't find one.

So I wrote a script that will do it as follows:

Given an alias directory, and a "target files" directory:

- Test files names for a trailing "alias" and test files to see if they are symbolic links.

- If so, search for filenames in the target directory tree matching the root of the alias or link name

- If found: replace the broken alias or link with a new symbolic link.

That works for me but it's not a very nice solution:

1) It doesn't use a good test for aliases, which is slightly dangerous but not very: It'll fail in the unlikely case a files which is not an alias finishes with " alias", or if an alias has had the trailing " alias" removed.

2) It doesn't check for multiple file matches, and will link to the first it finds. (or link to all of them in turn, over-writing, I can't remember).

3) most importantly: It removes all aliases and replaces them with symbolic links which isn't great. Aliases supposedly have greater flexibility than links which explains why they are ten times the size.

Links are enough for me - I'm just posting this as an indication of what can be done, without including my inelegant script.

Finally, a good place to look to learn how to do a better job is this person I came across:

http://sveinbjorn.org/osxutils_docs

This Sveinbjorn has shared this utility "mkalias" which shows how to make aliases.

From there, it's probably not hard to make a proper applescript "alias" test in place of my stupid filenamename method, and test separately for aliases and links to avoid the "all links" problem.

And finally a little test for multiple matches when searching for the target would be nice.

Good luck.

I myself will probably stick to links, too lazy.

broken aliases in mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.