Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Ubuntu] Can't install Ubuntu on my MacBook Air.

I want to install Ubuntu on my MacBook Air. Problem : each time the DVD-RW burning ends, the disc becomes unreadable. How can I install Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits on a MacBook Air late 2011 still with OS X Lion ?

Hi there.

I have a MacBook Air late 2011 still working with OS X Lion (actually OS X 10.7.4).

I just wanted to install Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits on my MacBook Air but I can't and I don't know why. The problem I encounter is the following : each time the DVD-RW burning ends, the disc becomes unreadable by the system and I can't do anything but erase it and try to burn it again… This is the fourth time I did it and it still doesn't works. Impossible to burn the DVD-RW without making it unreadable by the system. And I checked Bootcamp Assistant options but there's nothing about Linux…

I use an original Apple's superdrive to burn the disc.

A friend just told me to use Bootcamp Assistant, install Windows 7 on a new partition, then replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu… But I don't really know what to do. This is the first time that I try to install another system…

Could anyone help me ? Thanks.

MacBook Air, Other OS

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 4:08 PM

4 replies

Aug 30, 2012 6:59 PM in response to Subs_255

There is no support from Apple for what you're trying to do. From other reports on this site, it seems that the Linux installer always corrupts the partition table of the boot drive, so that it's no longer possible to boot OS X. If you only want to run Linux, that may not matter to you. In that case, you should look to the Linux community for support.

Aug 31, 2012 3:02 PM in response to Subs_255

I finally did it. In fact, if the DVD wasn't readable by OS X after the burning, he was readable by rEFIt on the superdrive. Me (OS X Lion 4 on a MacBook Air late 2011) and a friend (OS X Mountain Lion 1 on a MacBook Pro of 2008) did it this way :

1. Download the Ubuntu iso named "ubuntu-12.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso".
2. Burn it on a blank DVD with the disk utility.

3. Make a partition for Ubuntu with the disk utility.

4. Install rEFIt.

5. Restart the Mac.

6. Select the icon of Tux behind a little disc.

7. Try Ubuntu from the disc.

8. While trying Ubuntu on the disc, use the installer to install Ubuntu. NOTE: NE CAREFUL WHILE INSTALLING UBUNTU, IF YOU CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION AT A MOMENT OF THE INSTALLATION YOU CAN ERASE OS X.

9. After the installation, Ubuntu should tell you that you might restart the computer. Restart the Mac, and you'll arrive on the rEFIt menu.

10. You can now use Ubuntu on your Mac, enjoy.

We both did it and it worked well, I even reinstalled Ubuntu and it worked well again. Just be careful while installing Ubunut, I'll maybe repeat myself but choosing the wrong option could suppress OS X. Except if you just want a MacBook Air with Ubuntu for the weight… Have a nice day.

Message was edited by: Subs_255

[Ubuntu] Can't install Ubuntu on my MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.