Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I pair my TV remote with my MacBook?

System Preferences | Security | Pair indicates that one can pair a TV remote with the MacBook by holding down the Menu and Next keys on the remote simultaneously a few inches from the MacBook until the paired-remote graphic appears. However, this does not work. Nothing happens when I follow these instructions.

Yes, "DIsable remote control IR receiver" is unchecked.

Yes, the batteries in the remote are good.

This is NOT related to Apple TV. I have the Mac connected to a TV and use the Mac as a DVD player. I want to control the DVD via the TV's remote.

Any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 6:17 PM

4 replies

Aug 30, 2012 8:46 PM in response to WindSong

My bad. 😟

I just re-read your original post. You are attempting to use the television remote with your MacBook.

That is not possible as you are attempting. The pairing you are trying to do is for the small little remote that shipped with some iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pro computers and with all the Apple TV units. That same remote can be use with your MacBook to control playback in DVD Player and for iTunes music and movies, and a small handful of other playback functions in other apps.

If you wish to control the DVD player, you will need to purchase an Apple Remote.

I hope this is helpful.

How do I pair my TV remote with my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.