Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backupd-helper is preventing shutdown.

When I shut down my MacBook (Mid-2010 13" Unibody), It hangs for a minute or so and then displays the message that Backupd-helper is preventing shutdown. The only way I can shut down is holding down the power button for a couple of seconds before it powers down.

This started happening after I update to 10.8.1

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 6:31 PM

2 replies

Sep 14, 2012 10:40 PM in response to MD999

Same problem. I have a late 2011 i7 macbook running 10.8.1. With Safari running, I close the lid to sleep it and that's where I think my problem starts. After I open it, I will press command-option-esc to bring up force quit, and there it is! Backupd-helper

I don't like weird stuff happening on my brand new machine so I took drastic action, as suggested on another thread dealing with shutdown problems. I did a complete reinstall of 10.8.1 from a usb stick. I wiped my drive, twice. Then I reinstalled the os and brought my mac back to life. Basically back to square one when I originally uprgraded from 10.7. (I've read that's the best way to install the OS, from a usb stick doing a drive wipe.)

The same problem occurred after I wiped the drive and reinstalled everything. Same exact thing with sleeping, safari, etc.

My fix is to check the force quit dialogue before shutting down. Hmmm, that's silly seeing as 10.8 is excellent and fast. 10.8.2 ?

Backupd-helper is preventing shutdown.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.