Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule won't setup?

I just bought a 2TB Time Capsule, primarily so I can wirelessly transfer my data from my old Macbook to my new Macbook Pro. I keep trying to set up the Time Capsule using Airport Utility, but for some reason the Time Capsule just won't connect to my Macbook.

This is what keeps happening:

1) I start using Airport Utility and it can't detect my Time Capsule (which is literally right beside my Macbook). Only after about 5 or 6 "re-scans" does my laptop finally detect the Time Capsule.

2) After detecting the Time Capsule I click "Continue" to set it up.

3) Because I've had to reset it, a menu then comes up saying, "This Time Capsule has been reset," with options to either "restore the previous settings" or "use default settings and save previous settings as a profile." I then click the "restore" option.

4) A bunch of pages come up about what I want to name my Time Capsule and passwords and stuff, which all looks fine.

5) Then a page comes up saying, "This Time Capsule is set up to join a wireless network," which is what I want, so I continue.

6) The final page says, "Time Capsule will use these settings below. Make sure they are correct." It has the network my Time Capsule will be joining and all of the correct information so I click "Update."

7) Then a page comes up saying, "This device and its network services will be temporarily unavailable. Are you sure you want to continue?" So I continue.

8) The next page says, "The settings for this Time Capsule have been successfully updated. You can close this window or wait for Time Capsule to restart." At the bottom of the screen it says, "Waiting for Time Capsule to restart..." For about 20 seconds the light turns solid amber, and after that it switches back to the flashing amber state.

9) After several minutes of waiting for the Time Capsule to restart, this message comes up: "Airport Utility was unable to find your AirPort wireless device after restarting. The settings for this AirPort device have been successfully updated, but there was a problem re-joining the wireless network or finding the AirPort wireless device. You may need to select your network from the Wi-Fi menu and try again."

10) After this I need to re-join my network and my Time Capsule is still not set up.

Just as additional information:

- The Time Capsule's light is always flashing amber - before, during and after "setup"

- The network connection in my house is great and I've never had issues wirelessly connecting to devices before.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks for any help.

Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 9:04 PM

Join is lousy way to work the TC.. it is hidden because Apple don't want you to use it.

If you have great wireless network in the house.. there is no need to use the TC next to the computer.. you gain nothing.. and it works poorly..

Plug into the TC with ethernet.. press and hold reset..

Turn off wireless and set the TC to bridge.. ie connection sharing off.. or later version of AU.. NAT off.

Plug it into the main router with ethernet.

You can now access it using your existing wireless network.. at least twice as fast as the join wireless network.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2012 9:04 PM in response to Garimon

Join is lousy way to work the TC.. it is hidden because Apple don't want you to use it.

If you have great wireless network in the house.. there is no need to use the TC next to the computer.. you gain nothing.. and it works poorly..

Plug into the TC with ethernet.. press and hold reset..

Turn off wireless and set the TC to bridge.. ie connection sharing off.. or later version of AU.. NAT off.

Plug it into the main router with ethernet.

You can now access it using your existing wireless network.. at least twice as fast as the join wireless network.

Aug 31, 2012 12:34 AM in response to Garimon

What actual version of OS are you running?? Your first post lists 10.5.8 but most people forget to update it.

The airport utility is hugely different between Snow and Lion.. In fact for Lion download and install the old version.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

For Mountain Lion you are stuck.

Open the utility, manual setup, internet tab and on that page, at the bottom, connection sharing.. and select off bridge mode..

For v6 I will need to locate specifics.. I do not use it.

For ethernet cable, go to any large computer store and ask for cat6 patch cable of whatever length (and colour) suits you. I almost cannot believe anybody in our world today has not bought ethernet cable.

Aug 31, 2012 3:23 AM in response to Garimon

I see.. I think I missed a couple of points in the first post.. like you bought a TC to transfer files..

You can do it with one $5 ethernet cable.. plug into both computers.. set IP manually.. copy direct.

Or none at all, since you must currently have a wireless network.. to which you were attempting to join the TC.. have you actually looked up networking in Mac environment.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549?viewlocale=en_US

If you can pack up the TC and return it.. that is what I would do... unless you are going to use it for backing up.. or wireless networking it is useless to you beyond that single task.

How do you get internet now??

If each computer is connected to a router with wireless.. it will be slow but you don't even need ethernet.. but if you bought two patch leads.. and have a 4 port modem router you can pass files between the 2 computers.. you can do that with the TC as well.. before you return it.

Aug 31, 2012 12:29 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yeah I was thinking that I should just return it. I only bought it because Apple kind of marketed it as a wireless external drive, which I now see is not exactly the case. It suppose it would be rather daft to have spent $300+ on a device I'm only going to use a few times in my life.

There's a main router on the main floor that wirelessly serves all the computers in the house.

Oh! So would I be able to wirelessly transfer all of my files by "sharing" it with my other laptop? My main concerns are my iTunes and Documents folders, so would I be able to transfer those complete folders? Or would I have to share each document individually?

What would you do in my position? The file sharing or connecting the laptops to the router?

(Btw, is a patch lead the same thing as an ethernet cable?)

Aug 31, 2012 3:17 PM in response to Garimon

Patch lead is a short and flexible ethernet cable.. you use to patch computers to routers etc

Don't even look like you don't understand.. walk into the computer shop..

Say.. "I want a 2M (6' in US) cat 6 patch cable please.. hmmm what colour do you have available??"

Change length according to taste.

Apple have restrictions on iTunes which are basically licensed to a single user.. they designed the system to prevent people simply copying it to somebody else.

Read the instructions on iTunes or post in the itunes area what you want to achieve.. it is specific to itunes..

You can copy your documents files.. That should be trivial exercise..

You already have a network.. you simply have never used it for anything except internet. Sorry I cannot give you a tutorial on Mac networking.. Google is your friend.. there are plenty of great tuts around the place.

Or go to a class and learn the specifics of networking.

Aug 31, 2012 3:40 PM in response to LaPastenague

I was just looking into transferring iTunes and Apple says that you CAN move the library by sharing. It seems easy enough, and like you said, documents should be easy as well.

I just have one final question. When sharing files, is it possible for me to only share my iTunes and documents with my new laptop? Or would they be shared with all of the other computers in the home?

Time Capsule won't setup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.