Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep getting message pop up "Error reading/writing file “com.apple.logic.pro.cs”: Logical end-of-file reached during read operation," and "The Preferences are not loaded completely. Save them to "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" anyway?" Using Logic pro 8. ???

Logic froze while I was working on something so I forced quit. Now every time I open LOGIC a message pops up that says:

"Error reading/writing file

“com.apple.logic.pro.cs”:

Logical end-of-file reached during read operation."

The only button option is cancel so I press it and another message appears that says:

"The Preferences are not loaded completely.

Do not save them, as you would overwrite the Preferences file with incomplete data."

Then when i close logic a box appears saying:

"The Preferences are not loaded completely.

Save them to "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" anyway?"

There are 3 button options to press; ok, cancel or dont save.

I press "don’t save" cuz I don't want to ruin anything.

I found a discussion located here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2026998?answerId=9564253022#9564253022 that says if I delete the file "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" it will resolve the problem. If I do this will I loose or mess anything up at all, automation, saved channel strips customizations, saved effects, synth, or ultrabeat customizations etc? Or especially will I loose any work I've done? I have hundreds pieces of music files I've created. I'm scared to mess anything up with all the hours and months of work I've done. Is there anyway to fix this without loosing anything? I'm using Logic Pro 8.

Thank you

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 5:17 AM

You can safely delete this file - its the preference file for control surface settings - you haven't said whether you're actually using a control surface or not, if so, you will have to set it up again. A new file will be created when you fire Logic up again, but of course it will contain default settings. If you have a complicated control surface setup, remember to keep a backup copy somewhere in case any future problems arise.

Other than that, you really have nothing to be scared about - hopefully your problem is as simple as that and there isn't an underlying problem (a corrupt hard drive, for example). You seem concerned about losing work, so I guess you want to think about backing that up on a regular basis too. If you're saving your projects to your system drive, do get an external one for this. And also check that you have plent of free space on your system drive - you need to keep about a quarter or third of it free for your OS and programs to run properly (some temporarily stored files can be quite large).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2012 5:17 AM in response to christophj

You can safely delete this file - its the preference file for control surface settings - you haven't said whether you're actually using a control surface or not, if so, you will have to set it up again. A new file will be created when you fire Logic up again, but of course it will contain default settings. If you have a complicated control surface setup, remember to keep a backup copy somewhere in case any future problems arise.

Other than that, you really have nothing to be scared about - hopefully your problem is as simple as that and there isn't an underlying problem (a corrupt hard drive, for example). You seem concerned about losing work, so I guess you want to think about backing that up on a regular basis too. If you're saving your projects to your system drive, do get an external one for this. And also check that you have plent of free space on your system drive - you need to keep about a quarter or third of it free for your OS and programs to run properly (some temporarily stored files can be quite large).

Nov 16, 2012 11:59 AM in response to christophj

Just to add...

Logic saves some preference files when closing, the freeze you experienced left a corrupted .cs pref file.

Or...... your system hard drive is close to being full and OSX swap files were using the remaining space and the pref file couldn't be saved. That's why CM mentioned having enough free space on your system drive. OSX can write many GB of swap files so you really do need to have pleanty of free space on the drive.

Keep getting message pop up "Error reading/writing file “com.apple.logic.pro.cs”: Logical end-of-file reached during read operation," and "The Preferences are not loaded completely. Save them to "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" anyway?" Using Logic pro 8. ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.