Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mountain lion finder search scroll bug

Hi all,

I've found another major bug in Mountain Lion. Previous bugs include:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4219899?answerId=19426052022#19426052022&ac_cid=op123456#19426052

This bug is in the Finder scrolling function in a search window.

When searching for a file in Finder (or through Spotlight -> then clicking "Show all in Finder"), the results appear as normal. However, when scrolling down the finder window, the content keeps resetting to the top of the list, making it extremely difficult to find anything that is not displayed in the available window space.

Hope this gets noticed & fixed in the next update.

Regards

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 3:04 AM

21 replies

Feb 23, 2013 4:23 PM in response to estibot

I have exactly the same problem, even with the scrollbars set to "always visible".

It's drives me insane..

Edit: I just noticed, that the problem does not occur whith a few results.

I just had a search with 63 results and scrolling behaved normally..

But i can reproduce the problem every time with 600 results or more...

Message was edited by: vterm

Apr 10, 2013 4:22 AM in response to vterm

Had anyone found a solution to this, I have the issue where is I search in finder and scroll it bounces back to the top. I have tried page down and does the same.

I have also tried to click in the scroll bar and scroll manually, but it bounces back to quickly to actually choose the file I need, any ideas...

It only seems to be a problem on the List view.

Apr 16, 2013 8:01 AM in response to estibot

I've had this same Spotlight results scroll focus change OS bug ever since Mountain Lion. I've observed it on 3 different macbook pros, both with an upgrade to Mountain Lion from Lion, and also a complete CLEAN install of Mountain Lion on a brand new disk where I've not dragged over any system files, preferences or apps. For me, all ML exhibit this bug from 10.8 to the most current 10.8.3.

I have not edited the Search Results categories that are selected (in Preferences > Spotlight)

The only time this has not occurred is in the first 2 days of the using the clean install of ML. The scroll focus behaved correctly even with a lot of results. It's now been a week since the clean install and the scroll focus change bug is now active again since day 3. It is possible to scroll slowly with the mouse wheel/gesture and it won't always (10% of the time?) snap focus to the top.

Thanks for the reference link above, but it was not helpful to me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2577564?answerId=12261261022#12261261022

• The thread refers to OS 10.6., and I did not observe this bug in that OS, or 10.7.
  • One recommendations is to delete the plist (preferences), but this is not a practical solution because the problem comes back quickly.
  • The other recommendation is to turn off calculate size of files or the Spotlight results folder. It is not possible, as far as I can see, to turn calculate sizes on in the View Options for the Spotlight results window. It is possible to turn on/off sizes as a column in the results, but this made no difference with the bug.

Other tests I've performed that did not fix the bug:

1. Change "Show scroll bars:" to "Always". This made no difference.
  2. Change "Click in the scroll bar to:" to "Jump to the spot that's clicked". No difference.

Other tests that could be performed:

1) System Preferences > Spotlight: Search Results - turn categories on and off to see if that makes a difference.

And finally, this has reduced the problem to occurring only 10% of the time now!

turn off Smooth Scrolling. This is no longer a checkbox in System Preferences > Appearance in 10.8 ML, so you have to use a shell command in Terminal. If you want to explore this approach look at these two references:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120726122633912

http://www.marekbell.com/how-to-disable-smooth-scrolling-in-mountain-lion/

Now I'm waiting to see if other parts of the ML OS will be negatively affected by turning off Smooth Scrolling, and then I'll decide which is worse. Bottom line, this is not a fix, but it seems to have reduced the occurrence of the Spotlight results scroll focus change OS bug.

May 28, 2013 2:01 AM in response to CornwallAppleMac

I would suggest the best thing to do is report this as a bug to Apple.

Dont forget to use their official bug reporter page.

I have tried very hard to find other ways around this problem but the only solution (if the full scroll in the search facility is an absolute necessity) is to reinstall Lion until a solution becomes availbe from Apple.

Jul 19, 2013 2:36 PM in response to estibot

I also have this problem and it drives me batty. I have had it since some time around 10.7 and it persists on more than one machine I use in 10.8. I don't think creating new accounts or re-installing OS will make the slightest difference since I have seen this bug on multiple machines. It makes spotlight almost totally unusable especially on machines with a LOT of data since searches with a long list of results seem to be most affected. Anyon ehave any useful suggestions? I'm a former mac genius, so please don't say reinstall OS or set up a new user since obviously I already tried those kinds of easy fixes.

mountain lion finder search scroll bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.