Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a bootup/install disk/USB thumb drive OS X Mountain Lion

I'm thinking of getting an iMac for my next computer, probably in 6 months or so.

From another post/question I have on the forums, someone mentioned that:

'New iMacs no longer come with install disks'

They went onto say that it should be possible to create a bootup/install disk and also create the same on a USB thumb drive.

Basically I wanting to know that in the worst case scenario of my iMac not booting up at all due to some software issue preventing it and I couldnt access the recovery partion. How would I be able to get my iMac up and running again if the iMac did not come with a bootup/install disk?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has created a bootup/install disk and or a USB thumb drive with a recently purchased iMac that has Mountain Lion installed (latest OS) and if so, could you provide me with instructions on how to do this please?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Windows Vista, iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 4S 32GB

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 4:31 AM

All currently shipping Macs are able to boot into recovery mode over the internet if the recovery partition is missing for some reason (for example, if the hard drive fails).

11 replies

Aug 31, 2012 6:05 AM in response to tal1971

In 6 months or so, it is almost assured that your iMac will come with Mountain Lion pre-installed (at Apple Stores, the on hand stock is already pre-loaded with ML), so it will cost you $19 to download a copy of ML. Granted, it's not a huge, wallet busting purchase, so it's still quite doable.

When the installer finishes downloading, it will automatically start. Just cancel the installation (quit the installer).

Then, all you need is a blank Double Layer DVD, or an 8GB flash drive. Go here for easy, streamlined instructions and tools to create your boot disk.

Aug 31, 2012 8:05 AM in response to stevenfrombrownsburg

Thanks for the help, much apreciated.

So basically, I wouldnt be able to make my own bootup/install disk/USB thumb drive. I would need to purchase a copy of Mountain Lion from Apple for $19 or whatever the cost would be here in the UK, so that in the worst case scenario of my iMac not loading up due to a software issue, I would then have a copy of Mountain Lion to get my iMac up and running again and from there be able to access a Time Machine backup off of an external hard drive?

Aug 31, 2012 8:40 AM in response to tal1971

Follow the last paragraph in stevenfrombrownsburg post. The link takes you to a download for an application that is mash a button, get an answer simple to use and creates a bootable 8GB flash drive or even DVD. It assumes that the ML purchase and subsequent download lands in /Applications.

I have used Lion Diskmaker and it works perfectly for this purpose.

The caveat with that external bootable ML USB stick is that any install from the USB stick will erase your hard drive and perform a clean OS X install. You would want to first backup your home directory and third-party applications.

Aug 31, 2012 9:11 AM in response to tal1971

So basically, I wouldnt be able to make my own bootup/install disk/USB thumb drive. I would need to purchase a copy of Mountain Lion from Apple for $19 or whatever the cost would be here in the UK

That's certainly one option, if you are insistent on having a bootable installer. However, there is a way that you can create a bootable installer without purchasing a new copy of the system unnecessarily. Someone posted instructions here on doing that with Lion a while ago. Unfortunately, I've lost track of that post at this point, and don't remember the procedure. Perhaps someone else will chime in with the instructions.

Aug 31, 2012 9:19 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the help it's much appreciated.

After reading the article, I think the easiest way rather than to try and create a boot/install disk/USB thumb drive, to start the iMac with in the scenario of when it won't load up due to a software problem, would be to follow Thomas A Reed's post when he mentions:

'All currently shipping Macs are able to boot into recovery mode over the internet if the recovery partition is missing for some reason (for example, if the hard drive fails).'

I would be connecting my iMac to the Internet with an Ethernet cable, so I could just plug this into the iMac, in case I was unable to create/setup a wireless network, due to the iMac been unable to boot up due to a software issue.

Aug 31, 2012 9:28 AM in response to tal1971

I suppose. now, I've got a few options open, either:

Purchase and download Mountain Lion through the Mac App Store so that I can then put it on a DVD, USB thumb drive, or other storage device, but with this option, unless I'm wrong, I wouldn't be able to just simple put it onto a dvd, usb thumb drive etc and boot off of it, to get my iMac up and running in the scenario of it not starting up due to a software issue.

Or use the option of Thomas Reed when he mentions about:

'All currently shipping Macs are able to boot into recovery mode over the internet if the recovery partition is missing for some reason (for example, if the hard drive fails).'

Or use Lion Disk Maker.

Aug 31, 2012 9:35 AM in response to tal1971

Really appreciate the help everyone. I'm finding Mac a bit confusing with using a Windows pc for 10 years. I just like to have concerns and questions answered before I make a decision, rather than regret it later.

Other things I'll need to look into is, seeing what software I use on Windows is available on Mac, and if it isn't available, what are the Mac alternatives. If all else fails I would have Windows on Parrellels Desktop which I know I would have to use for some things, like my girlfriends craft and card making cds which will only run on Windows, but I'm wanting to keep clear of Windows as much as I can, I don't want to purchase a Mac and then spend most of my time running Windows on it.

How to create a bootup/install disk/USB thumb drive OS X Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.