Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my AppleMail sending blank or partial emails?

My Apple mail is sending partial and blank messages, though it includes my automatic singature.

The problem is particularly present when I am sending a FWD or a Reply, but it isn't consistantly doing it... I'm not trying to send anything fancy, just text (Rich Text) and sometimes an attached PDF or WordDoc.

It doesn't always happen but started randomly on Monday (8/27). Sometims it happens when replying to an email sent from a phone—maybe this could part of an issue? I'm using a POP account (host is Dreamhost and webmail works on their end).

I use the email for work... HELP!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 8:50 AM

13 replies

Sep 1, 2012 5:38 PM in response to BDAqua

I'm experiencing "issues" with my mail as well, but in the opposite direction. Last night, after a restart Mail reported it needed to go through a rebuilding process. Since doing the rebuild, Mail seems to be displaying one corrupt mail message--a 2 year old e-mail keeps showing up at the top message in my mailbox. The inconsequential message just gives me the header information (to from, date, subject) but no content. I know from the header that there once was content to this message. I've deleted it numerous times, but each time I open the program or another folder inside the program, that message keeps showing up.

Sep 1, 2012 5:50 PM in response to creativestuff

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

If 10.7.0 or later...

Bootup holding CMD+r, or the Option/alt key to boot from the Restore partitirion & use Disk Utility from there to Repair the Disk, then Repair Permissions.

Oct 30, 2012 1:05 PM in response to BDAqua

Dear Aqua,

In answer to your last question, "use same format as original message" is un-selected (I use plain text a majority of the time).

However, do you have any other ideas for me?

The problem occured again on two separate occaisions, this time the recipiant did not even received an email at all (though they have recieved an email from me in the past and recieved the email again when I re-sent my email, so I don't think I'm black-listed). Both accounts were gmail accounts.

The occurances of this issue is so rare, yet emails are critical to the success of my work and I need help!

Thank you,

Rebecca

Oct 30, 2012 2:51 PM in response to creativestuff

creativestuff wrote:

I'm experiencing "issues" with my mail as well, but in the opposite direction. Last night, after a restart Mail reported it needed to go through a rebuilding process. Since doing the rebuild, Mail seems to be displaying one corrupt mail message--a 2 year old e-mail keeps showing up at the top message in my mailbox. The inconsequential message just gives me the header information (to from, date, subject) but no content. I know from the header that there once was content to this message. I've deleted it numerous times, but each time I open the program or another folder inside the program, that message keeps showing up.

It is not very polite to post a different problem in another person's thread.

Start by 'Erase Deleted Messages/In All Accounts' on Mailbox menu.

Do you have virus software?

Oct 30, 2012 3:06 PM in response to RebeccaCEB

RebeccaCEB wrote:

It is attaching the older portions of the email I am FWD or RE as ATT00427.txt (1 KB) files (or one that has a similar name) at the top. Do you know how to change this Applemail behavior?

I have a difficulty trying to help you. You have posted to the Leopard forum but you appear to be using a later OS which I do not have.

My Mail 3.6 does not appear to have an option to attach historic emails. This is something more common in Windows. Could it be that you received an email from Windows (or some other email client) with an attachment which Mail displayed inline? If so this may do as you described when forwarded.

Why is my AppleMail sending blank or partial emails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.