Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Calendar Invitation iPhone 4S failure.

First I create an appointment in outlook 2007 to send to multiple people or even one person and then send it out from my PC.  Most times this works fine and people receive the appointment, accept it on their iPhone 4S and it works without issue.  However other times when I try to accept certain appointments on my iPhone 4S it gives me the following error:

"Your response to the invitation cannot be sent."

I then accept the meeting on my PC and it works properly but the calendar appointment doesn't even show up in my calendar but on the people that I sent it to they get the error:

They then accept the meeting in outlook on their PC but it shows on their iPhone calendar in grey and if they try to accept it from the phone they keep getting the error:

When it comes time for the meeting I'll get a notice on my PC but on my iPhone I don't get a reminder the same goes for the other people invited.  Other appointments from the same calendar, with the exact same fields, setup the exact same way go to my iPhone and everyone that's invited and are accepted/work normally.  It seems as though it randomly chooses which calendar appointments to work or not work.  I've deleted and re-added the exchange account to my iPhone, I've gone through the settings and everything correct on the PC and on the iPhone as far as I can tell.  The iPhone only has an exchange account for mail/calendar/contacts (Just to eliminate all possible problems).  These glitched appointments won’t be accepted by anyone's iPhone 4S I send to they all get the same, "Your response to the invitation cannot be sent.".  However they can accept the appointment without issue on their PC.

I've used my google fu as best as I could to find a resolution for this problem but all to no avail.  I've found similar posts as far back as 2010 but none of them have a solution for this problem. 

"help me obi wan you're my only hope"

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, Exchange Server 2003, outlook 2007

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 10:35 AM

2 replies

Sep 14, 2012 5:56 PM in response to Intoodeeptosleep

I get pretty much this same error.

I have an iPhone 4S & iPad2. I have two email accounts configured, both as exchange: One is my Gmail account. The other is my work account (we have an Exchange 2007 SP2 server at work). My default Calendar is my work exchange account. My default contacts are my Gmail contacts, and my default send account is my Gmail account. This is a personal phone but i like to be able to skim my work email when I'm away from desk or commuting.

When both devices were on iOS 5.0 (and other releases before 5.1.1) if I accepted invitations into my PC desktop Outlook, my calendar would sync correctly to both the iPhone and iPad. If I accepted the invitation on the iPhone it would display the Calendar invitation error: "Your response to the invitation cannot be sent", the add the meeting to my calendar and sync correctly to all devices. However if I accepted them on my iPad, then I got the Calendar invitation error: "Your response to the invitation cannot be sent" on the iPad, and i'd get a greyed out entry on my Calendar. This entry would not sync to other devices. Once I accepted the invitation in Outlook then there would be two entries on the iPad and one would stay greyed out. Very annoying.

Now that i've upgraded both iOS devices to the latest 5.1.1 I cannot accept any invitations, and after the error prompt goes away, I don't even get the greyed out invite on my calendar. The entire request disappears! Which is even worse! Now I can easily miss appointments & meetings. Not sure what is happening.

I'm thinking of removing my work account and syncing only my personal invites to Gmail calendar instead.

Hope someone can help on this issue. I've search the forums and the web extensively and haven't read any solutions. I'm getting my IT to install the latest SP and rollup fixes onto our work Exchange server first to see if that will help.

Random Calendar Invitation iPhone 4S failure.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.