Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change user's short name?

Hi and thank you in advance for any assistance you may give.

I am administering a group of computers for an office of about 20 architects. There is an XServe running 10.5.8 server. One user, when her server account was set up years ago had her name misspelled (Katie instead of Katy) on her server account. This has caused a few problems.

In an attempt to resolve them I went into the Workgroup Manager, changed her account's name and added a short name which included the correct spelling. The services she accesses are file sharing and calendar, she is running 10.7.4 on an iMac.

iCal, unfortunately, when I set her account to use the new short name, does not work and gives a 403 error. Setting the account to the previous short name works fine.

I do not seem to be able to delete the old incorrect short name from her profile on the server. Is there a way to do this, and will this allow the new short name to work in iCal? Will it cause other issues?

Any replies much appreciated.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 10:16 AM

There are no replies.

Change user's short name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.