Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connected to a Directory

Hello,

In the past I have always been told when a mac is connected to another directory, especially one that is from a Mac OS X LDAP, if there are replicas they will automatically see them. While I know this is true because when trying to add the replica the mac tells you that this computer is already connected to the Master. Now when the Master fails, why do the Macs not automatically pick up on the replicas and use them for authentication? The same can be said if you have 10.6 Server as a master with replicas and then you have a 10.5 system using connected to another directory system it will pull the LDAP users, but once the master fails, you can not authenticate through to a replica? The only way is to bring the master back up. Anyone have any remidies for this as to why it occurs?

Thank you

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 10:54 AM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2012 7:08 AM in response to Jeff Kelleher

Jeff,

Thanks for the responce. I have done this before a few times and I was actually looking into doing this another way. I was just hoping that when you make a replica, those machines connected to the master also know who the replicas are. Should the master fall off, the replica's would pick up. I assumed this is also not the case, even if I was to connect it to a replica and that fell off, the server still could not authenticate back up to the Master correct? To me this now seems a bit dumb as I thought that was the point of Masters and Replicas.

Any input that this?

Connected to a Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.