Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I rented a movie on my ipad, how can I watch on my pc?

iPad 2

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 12:29 PM

48 replies

Aug 31, 2012 12:34 PM in response to rlippman

If you rent a movie on the iPad you cannot move it to another device. You can only watch it on the iPad.

Can I play my rental on more than one device?

• If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV (1st generation), iPhone, iPad, or iPod if it’s a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4 or later, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time.
  • If you download a rented movie on your iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV: It is not transferable to any other device or computer.

Sep 5, 2012 6:34 AM in response to varjak paw

Ok I get that if I downloaded a movie to my iPad 3, I can't transfer it to another. But I tried to mirror it or my apple tv. It worked but it took so long to load. I waited 15 minutes of it to load. It started playing but when it caugh up with itself had to wait another 15 for it to download more movie. If I have the movie downloaded on my iPad and it will play fine on the iPad, then why does it act that way when I mirror it. I am new to this and tried to rent on my apple tv but it won't let me. So I did it on my iPad but not knowing that the family was not going to be able to watch it. Thanks

Dec 23, 2012 1:12 PM in response to rlippman

I get not being able to watch it simultaneously on two devices at the same time. What I don't get is why you can't even see the purchase on your iPad if you download a movie on your computer, and why it's not associated with the account. It should be advanced enough to know you haven't watched it yet and say something to the effect

...you have not watched this movie, do you want to transfer to watch on your iPad. Either way, you're only watching it once, which doesn't break copyright law. All they would have to do is note that you have watched on X device and therefore cannot watch on Y device once started or start the movie where you left off like on Netflix.

Jan 31, 2013 12:57 PM in response to rlippman

This is simply outrageous, brand loyalty is becoming non existent!

I rented a movie on my iPad and thought I could simply watch it through my itunes account on my computer - which I now realise isn't possible.

Apple, I thought you would be smarter than this. I tried to do the right thing and pay good money to help the industry... but it seems as though that when you try to be honnest and responsible, it just comes back to bite you in the axxx. I will never rent or buy a movie through you if it stays this way. Sort it out.

Feb 20, 2013 5:51 AM in response to rlippman

Using my iphone 4S on IOS 6.1.2, I have just downloaded a standard def rented movie directly from iTunes onto my iphone and streamed it to my Apple TV - with no probs or lag. Apple TV a 2nd gen with latest software and is wired to my network hub. You should be able to do the same with your ipad2 - but I don't see any way of watching this on your PC unless an apple TV is plugged into an HDMI port.

On reading this thread, I will in future download to my iMac first for flexibility, and only then transfer to iphone / ipad as needs be...

Agreed that this is too restrictive though. If I rented a DVD, I could put it into any DVD player - albeit only one at a time. I'd like to see the same principle for downloads.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.