Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lexmark wifi printer will only connected via usb with mnt lion, however printer will connect via wifi when booted using snow leopard

I'm running a dual bootable early 2008 imac. One is set for snow leopard the other mountain lion. I'm trying to connect it to a lexmark x6675 wifi printer

when the computer is booted using mnt lion it does not see the lexmark printer unless I connect it using a USB cable, as soon as the cable is removed the printer is listed as disconnected and I cannot add it. If I reboot the computer using snow leopard it sees the WIFI printer and works normally

I'ver tried just about everything I can think of but cannot get mnt lion to see the printer on the network Everything is up to date, print shareing is on. I've even gone through lexmarks wifi setup utility when tells me the printer has been sucessfuly added to tmy network. Ive tried adding from the ips the printer listes and I've even reset the printers and started from scratch several times no luck.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 2:39 PM

10 replies

Sep 6, 2012 8:44 AM in response to davidfromrolla

Uninstall old Lexmark software in your computer.

Download and install Lexmark driver online http://bit.ly/P3LKlI

After installing the software, download the Wireless Assistant package http://bit.ly/OXpPc8 . Run the package after downloading the go to Applications folder → Lexmark → Wireless Setup Assistant to configure printer to connect to your computer wirelessly.

Install Scan application driver http://bit.ly/OWIRCE

Please make sure printer firmware is up to date before configuring.

Sep 12, 2012 6:41 AM in response to Lexmark Listens

Hi Lexmark,

I am hoping that you can solve my issue for me......I have run into a complete deadlock in tech support.

My issue ---I have an existing wireless Lexmark x4550 that prints flawlessly with my ancient Toshiba laptop. (and iPad via Lexmark listens app)

Just received my new Mac air and was told prior to ordering that they would be compatible.

Downloaded the drivers, etc from Lexmark ......and the air will print while connected via USB cable in limited fashion, but when disconnected from the cable, the printer disappears from the 'add' printer queue.....no wireless capability at all.

I do find it when I go to system preferences>print&fax.....it's there, but off line. It stays off line until I plug in the USB. But when I hit the add printer button while plugged in, I see it in the box......unplug cable......it disappears.

Two hours on the phone with Apple yesterday ended up with the supervisor saying that my netgear wireless router must have a firewall preventing my use of the AIR to PRINTER connection......he suggested I log into my router and disable the firewall. This didn't really sound appealing to me, so I got ahold of Netgear.......

Discussion with Netgear techs say that no such firewall exists......and if it did, the AIR would not be on the network at all, or the Toshiba would not print either for that matter. And the AIR is capable of all Internet functions besides printing.......

I am basically at the end of my idea stream.....HELP :-) much appreciated !

Sep 12, 2012 12:04 PM in response to Lexmark Listens

Hi LL, thanks....I did follow the directions and it was looking good until I got the message 'unable to setup due to an error' my print job is now saying the printer is not responding......there is a problem communicating with the printer.

This really feels like something simple ---but tough to diagnose! I feel kind of lost since Apple has decided it isn't anything they can assist with (and Netgear also !) but I really appreciate your input. If you have any ideas, let me know.

I just love this printer . But am thinking......maybe a new printer might solve the issue?

Sep 12, 2012 12:23 PM in response to Kayo222

Have you tried to check for any updates for your Lexmark printer from Apple? Try to check for software updates or go this URL: http://bit.ly/NBHon4

If your driver is already up to date, try to reset the printing system. To do that, under Print & Fax, right click (ctrl click) on the blank space around the list of printers on the left side and choose the option Reset Printing System.

Sep 12, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Lexmark Listens

HI LL,

I just ran through your last set of ideas.....I had previously added the update that you mentioned in the link, but since I had cleared and reset the printers via one of your steps above, I went ahead and reloaded it......still, the printer is in the queue, but permanently offline . I can print via USB but with incredibly limited choices. This would never be a happy solution, as I really need to print photographs of my jewelry (I am a glassblower)....and need to be able to use iphoto and print directly from it.......

I am absolutely STUMPED. Might the apple techs be correct? could it really be something with the router? and my other question is this: will I ALWAYS be working with a limited capacity printer now? if so, then maybe I should just stop taking up your valuable time and get into the printer review area !! what do you think? hmm

Sep 12, 2012 4:38 PM in response to Lexmark Listens

Actually I did......I used my ip address for the network, and then tried a second time using th printers network address in the address bar. I am perplexed, as they say. Wondering if it's a sign from the universe to get a new printer...I have been searching previous threads,too. To see if there has been a duplicate occurrence. So far not yet...

I really appreciate all of your help.thanks

Oct 6, 2012 4:27 AM in response to davidfromrolla

Not sure if you have the same problems as I did. After installing last update my hp photosmart Plus B209a-m would work with USB but when I tried wirelss the printer no longer there and could not add printer (printer didn't show up as being on my wireless network)

This worked for me:

1. On the printer navigate to the menu that lets you Restore Defaults and set back to factory settings

3. On your computer look for a wireless network with name that reflects setup with your printer' and connect to it.

4. From printer menues find printer IP address.

5. Type the IP address into the address bar of a web browser -- this should show you the printer's internal settings.

6. Click on a Network tab and look for something like a Wireless Setup Wizard and run it, you now should be able to change the wireless network printer to the one your using.

7. If wizard asks for Passphrase that is the password you use on your wireless connection.

The printer should now be connected to your network

8. Now change the network name on your computer back to your wireless network.

9. re-add the printer from System Preferences.

lexmark wifi printer will only connected via usb with mnt lion, however printer will connect via wifi when booted using snow leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.