Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am looking for an app that will allow me to open an Apple Works document on my 10.6.8 Imac Any suggestions?

I am looking for an app that will allow me to open an Apple Works document on my 10.6.8 Imac Any suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 8:10 PM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2012 4:01 AM in response to AA52

Thanks for the time and effort you put into researching this topic for me in response to my posting. After I sent the question out I started to play around. Oddly enough I found and clicked on another unreadable copy of the file and immediately a "convert" window opened up. I chose the option "recover text from any file" and lo and behold a readable word docx. version opened up. The version of Word that I have I comes from a student version of Office 2008 for Mac. I don't understand why the convert window opened up with this particular version of the file but am happy to recover it as it is a feature length film script I wrote ten years ago that I would like to rework. Thanks again for your efforts, Best Wishes Andrew

Sep 4, 2012 4:25 AM in response to AA52

Appleworks 6.2.9 will run happily in 10.6.8 provided Rosetta was installed. Up to Leopard, this was done by default, but SL needs it to be selected as a custom install when upgrading. If SL was pre-installed, Rosetta should be present, but may not be activated until you open a PPC application.

If older versions of Word (2004) work on your Mac, Rosetta is already installed. Rosetta is an emulator for the PPC code used in these legacy applications.

If you don't have the Appleworks application, of course, this is irrelevant. But it can be copied from another computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.