Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can time capsule be used as an external hard drive for storing media

Can you use it in such a way that you put movies and music and home vidoes on there to be accessed on when on the network along with using it for backing up data. Could it be used in such a way that you can access your files when on wifi from anywhere?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Time Capsul

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 12:18 AM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2012 12:30 AM in response to hmtmichael

TC is not designed to be a NAS.. principally it is lacking any means to back itself up. And TM cannot backup a network drive.

If you put data on it like your movies and music in raw format that is fine.. if you put your itunes or iphoto etc library on it.. you will find it is slow to start, quick to stop, stutters and has issues. Also wireless frankly is just not that good.

I am not sure how far away is anywhere?? Do you mean remote access? That is possible via btmm using icloud.

The problem is, TC is not a media player.. it is a dumb as a board hard disk in a router.

How are you going to play your videos or music unless you move itunes library onto the TC??

Sep 1, 2012 1:38 AM in response to LaPastenague

Well I was just thinking that because the Time capsule is always connected to the internet, that there would be a way to access it over the internet from say... A coffee shop to view what is in it.

What is NAS?

I was looking at the go flex 1 tb portable thunderbolt hard drive, and it seems to have very good and very bad reviews because apparently it fails after a month or two. Do you know this to be true? I'm afraid of purchasing it if they are just going to fail after I back up my computer on it. Also I wanted to have something to keep my media on and be able to use, like movies and games because the available memory on the macbook pros cost way to much to upgrade.

can time capsule be used as an external hard drive for storing media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.