Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac HD Storage

Hi, please help me. I checked my about this mac and clicked on storage and it says that I have 176gb worth of files tagged under "others". I wanna locate those files so I can delete the unnecessary ones. I wated to use MacKeeper but I read that its no good. Is there any app I can use to clean up unnecessary files and so I can locate junk and duplicate files. Its taking a lot of space and has slowed my mac. Thank you so much, appreciate it.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:52 AM

Other is simply an amalgamation of what can't be classified into the other "tags" as you put it. If you haven't been messing around with your system and applications the only thing you should really do is keep on top of what is in your home directory, deleting or relocating anything you don't want locally.

6 replies

Sep 1, 2012 4:27 AM in response to iamlov

MacKeeper is an absolute NO. Don't be tempted to reconsider.

You should start with movies and music files, they normally take up most space. Then review the situation.

There is a good (free) app in the App Store called Easy Find. If you know that a particular subject is using a lot of space, feed in the name and Easy Find will help locate them all and I believe you can delete them all in one go.

Sep 1, 2012 4:30 AM in response to iamlov

The simplest way to see what size files and folders are is to…

1. Open a Finder window and change it to List View (View menu > as List)
  2. Open your View Options (View menu > Show View Options) and enable "Calculate all sizes"
  3. Optionally to can click on "Use as Default" so it will calculate folder sizes any time you use List View

After you do that it will show you the size of the files and folders of what you are looking at.

Sep 1, 2012 5:11 AM in response to iamlov

Adding to the infinite vortex suggestion, having identified the file (or files), go to Easy Find. Read and digest the info then begin by checking off the 'search for' options.

Then simply type into the box running along the top, the names of any files you want to trace. Click the magnifying glass icon at the end and a list will begin to emerge under the column marked names.

From then it's just a case of deleting.

Thank you for the star; glad I was able to help.

Mac HD Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.