Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot back up my IPad because I have a corrupted backup. I need to delete it but cannot locate it on my computer or find help on this topic. I would appreciate any help.

I cannot back up my IPad because I have a corrupted backup that I need to delete. The problem is I cannot locate the file to delete it. How do you locate the backup file?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:58 AM

Launch iTunes on your computer and got to Edit>Preferences>Devices. Find your back up in the window. Click on it. Then click on Delete Backup.

If you are on a Mac it is iTunes>Preferences>Devices.

9 replies

Sep 1, 2012 6:53 AM in response to Mrs syhm

You have the latest version of iTunes on your computer (on a PC 'Help > Check For Updates' ; on a Mac 'iTunes > Check For Updates') ? You could also try ejecting the iPad and rebooting your PC and the iPad : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

If you still get the same error then check whether it has actually deleted the backup (if you have other devices that you backup to that computer then they will also have backups) - they are stored under :

Mac:~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Windows XP:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the Return key.

I cannot back up my IPad because I have a corrupted backup. I need to delete it but cannot locate it on my computer or find help on this topic. I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.