Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downgrading icloud account?

I would like to downgrade my icloud storage size to the free amount. How do I do that?

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:11 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4009

3 replies

Oct 6, 2012 10:56 AM in response to mende1

But it has not solved my problem.

I have received notification that I will retain my 'free' 20GB complimentary iCloud storage allowance for a further year, until 30th September 2013, because I am a former MobileMe user. Presumably during or after this time I am expected to upgrade my iCloud account. However, I have an early 2006 MBP which runs Snow Leopard and as such a migration path to Lion or Mountain Lion is not available to me. To upgrade my iCloud account I would have to buy a new/newer MB/MBP and I am not going to do this. My MBP cost me GBP2300 (with apps) in 2006 which represents a considerable investment. Iam not about to write it off with years of use still left in it.

I would like to know if I will be charged for the 20GB iCloud storage after 30th September 2013 because I would much prefer my iCloud storage downgraded/reduced to the 'free' 5GB. I can see no way to alter my iCloud plan to take account of my wishes. Snow Leopard still has redundant MobileMe controls in the System Preferences.

There is another issue. Knowing that iCloud support will be severely restricted for Macintosh users like myself, I invested a fraction of the cost of a new MBP in setting up my own personal Cloud server giving me 3000GB (RAID 1) of online storage. Furthermore, online service providers, such as Dropbox, are emerging that are offering free & paid online storage. I have setup a 'free' 2GB account with Dropbox and I am beginning to think there is less of a reason to use Apple's iCloud.

I will admit to owning a second MBP, a custom mid-2010 model, and a new iPad and I currently use iCloud to synchronise apps& data between these two devices. However, my preferred workhorse is the 17" 2006 MBP.

But the point I wish to make is that there must be thousands/millions of early 2006 MB/MBP owners who find themselves abandoned because they are unable to upgrade their Macs and are forced into considering buying new/newer Macs should they wish take advantage of the services the iCloud offers. However, I now realise that other non-Apple online service providers are stepping in to provide these services for this group of Apple Mac owners. I cannot help feeling that Apple has missed an opportunity to support this group who may feel aggrieved that there is no inexpensive upgrade path open to them.

Oct 6, 2012 12:56 PM in response to philharve

You will be downgraded as a matter of course, unless you agree to pay when the time comes, and if they do charge you it will be going against there own literature they published relating to the changes which clearly stated that NO USER WILL BE CHARGED but you will be notified again when it is due for you to choose... 😉

Hope that makes it clearer for you. 😉

downgrading icloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.