Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open an unknown file type on ios

I have a specific file type that is nothing more than a text file. But when I receive emails with this file type, I can't do anything with it. It is a situation that happens all the time because it is a standard type of file that my company uses, so renaming of the file is not possible before sending.

How can I force the mail app or another app to recognize that it is just a text file and open it?

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2016 11:29 AM

Try Documents 5 by Readdle. It successfully opened a text file, that I had changed its extension to lic, and then emailed to myself.

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/documents-5-fast-pdf-reader/id364901807?mt=8

6 replies

Sep 1, 2012 9:44 PM in response to Robert1986nb

*.lic. It is a text file. Like I mentioned before it is just a simple text format for a license file that controls access to software licenses. All I need is a way to tell the iPhone to open it with anything that reads text. If I change the file extension to *.txt on a PC or Mac, the phone opens it fine. The problem is that when I want to view it and I am not in the office, I can't do anything with it.

How do I open an unknown file type on ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.