Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac detects my Seagate FreeAgent USB Hard Drive but my Airport Extreme doesn't? Help?

When I plug by usb hard drive directly into my Mac, it works/its detected. When I plug it into my usb port on my new Airport Extreme, it doesn't work/is not detected? I've searched and searched other support/community topics and can't find an answer/solution that helps. Please help??!! Thanks!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:30 AM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob: thanks for your prompt reply! I'm an ignoramus when it comes to Computers so would you please further explain your first observation regarding the drive being formatted correctly?

Second, this is a hard drive that pugs in directly to USB port and is powered by the computer/airport. Thanks for your help!

Sep 1, 2012 11:26 AM in response to dhf75

Check the box or documentation that came with the drive to find out how it is formatted. If it is formatted to work with the AirPort Extreme, it will say Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

If you find that the drive is formatted in NTFS or exFAT, that is a Windows format that will not work on the AirPort Extreme.

Your Mac computer can read more formats than the AirPort Extreme. That is why a drive might be recognized by a Mac, but not by the AirPort Extreme.

Check with support at the drive manufacturer if you need more info about the drive that you have. The article below may help as well.

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat.htm

My Mac detects my Seagate FreeAgent USB Hard Drive but my Airport Extreme doesn't? Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.