Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless to Ethernet bridging with Lion or Mountain Lion

I'd like to use my Mac Mini to bridge its WiFi to its Ethernet connection. This has been discussed but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Two things that don't work are:

1. Sharing the Internet connection using System Preferences. This doesn't bridge, but uses NAT to connect two different networks. I want the bridge to effectivley create a single network with single IP address range and in which all services work.

2. Using the terminal commands:

ifconfig bridge0 create

ifconfig bridge0 up

ifconfig bridge0 addm en0

ifconfig bridge0 addM en1

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

With this config, devices on the Ethernet side can't ping devices on the Wireless side.

I know I can simply buy an Airport Express to do what I want. However, the Mac Mini is located where there is only 1 Ethernet connection, so I can't put an Airport Express there, also.

Any advice from someone who has gotten bridging with Lion or Mountain Lion to work properly would be very much appreciated.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 11:10 AM

5 replies

Sep 1, 2012 11:43 AM in response to AndyAP

You can put any router you like at that location. Just turn off the DHCP server and don't use the WAN/Internet port on the router and that turns it into a 4 port Switch, if it has 4 LAN ports, With Wireless Access Point (that is IF it is a Wireless router).

You connect from wall Ethernet socket to one of the 4 LAN ports then setup the wireless side with it's own SSID and password and you can connect 3 other divices to the 3 other LAN ports and have as many wireless devices connected as you like and or the router will support.

Sep 1, 2012 1:32 PM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007,

What you have said is correct. The drawbacks are:

1. Another box to buy and manage -- not difficult, but still money and time I"d rather not spend.

2. Another box drawing power 24/7.

My Mac Mini is relatively unloaded -- it seems a pity to not have it bridge, when it has all of the necessary interfaces and is already drawing power.

So, I still want a Mac Mini bridging solution.

Any successful bridgers out there?

Sep 1, 2012 1:44 PM in response to AndyAP

No maintaining of any sort is needed on a router setup as a switch with WiFi Access point. Set it up and Forget it, unless it fails.

The power drawn by one of those unit is minimal. Especially since it isn't really doing any Routering work. No NAT and No DHCP or Firewall rules.

And to top it off if you had gone out to a store and bought one since I made my first post you would be done setting it up and you'd be using it now.

If you'd like detail instructions on how to set one up correctly as a Switch W/WiFi Access point just post back with your questions.

Good Luck.

Sep 1, 2012 6:20 PM in response to Shootist007

Thanks for your offer of help. Since I'm familiar with ifconfig and sysctl (as mentioned in my first msg), you might guess that I know something about setting up networking equipment -- and you would be right in your guess. I find setting up consumer network equipment typically very straightforward, as you no doubt do. And I'm actually not in a great hurry, as this is being done to solve a signal strength issue in my roaming network.

The issue with Lion is that the bridge driver is missing and so bridging setup is not so straighforward.

My objections to your suggestion remain unchanged, as does my preferred solution. Still looking for suggestions from a successful Lion bridger.

Wireless to Ethernet bridging with Lion or Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.