Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck at Apple Logo with Spinning Process Wheel under it after CCC Restore

Hi Everyone,

I had a CCC Backup of my imac which died, Time Machine would not back it up, so I had to use Carbon Copy Cloner. -- However I did not realize you had to have a partition on the HD backup to boot from with CCC.

I am using Lion 10.7.4

No Problem, I followed the CCC instructions to create a bootable partition on iMac i was going to restore to...

I first backed the iMac i was restoring to up, then made the Recovery partition, then used CCC to restore my old imac to the this imac.

It looked like it worked, no error messages, it showed the iMac 10.7.4 to reboot from in system preferences, but then when I let it restart, it just got stuck at the Apple logo with the process wheel spinning underneath it....

It looks great on the Macintosh HD, all my stuff is there from my CCC Backup from my old iMac that died, however ....... it archived the iMac's files (the one i moved to) into a folder above called _CCC Archives, which contains 2012-09-01 -> Applications, Library, System and Users from this iMac I tried to restore to...

Any ideas?? i really could use the help!

It's like all my stuff is there, but it just doesn't know how to boot and use it -- I feel like throwing away the _CCC Archives folder and repairing permission with Disk Utility or something... but I dont know what to do and its time sensitive.

Thank you so much for you help in advance.
Erik

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 1:07 PM

25 replies

Sep 1, 2012 5:06 PM in response to Smittayzone

I don't have a time machine backup. Because there was a hardware problem on my old iMac it wouldn't let me do it... I could only use Carbon Copy Cloner and I wound up doing that wrong, it cloned all my files to an external HD, but I did not see the instructions that I had to create a bootable partition on that external hd in order to reinstall from Carbon Copy Cloner CCC....

I have these tools however

- an external hd with all my computer files on it through Carbon Copy Cloner - exact clone ( but no partition to boot from)

- my old iMac that died ... Maybe I can boot with control T as a slave and use migration assistant, although I'm guessing it would die as it transferred

- and an OLD time machine backup from May of 2012, about 3 months ago and I've added so much to the old iMac it backed up because we just had a daughter in July... So many more files movies and pics and music

Any ideas????

Sep 2, 2012 11:27 AM in response to baltwo

Well, I had to cave in and go to a time machine backup from 3 months ago. It totally *****, so after 24 hours of wasted time I said screw it.

I had my wife look at the CCC instructions and it turns out the Mac you are moving to had to have a clean install of OSX, so I did that with the Lion USB drive, made a fresh recovery partition on the new iMac and I'm in there now trying to restore from a CCC backup in a folder on an external HD from a couple days ago. Replacing the freshly installed iMac HD with CCC backup of mine. Only 4-6 more hours to go yea !!!! ( sarcasm )

Does any of this sound right?? Anyone?

I got screwed up by not following CCCs rule of partitioning your external HD with a clean partition to boot off of. But I did follow their instructions on how to wipe your Mac with a clean install, set up a clean bootable partition on the new iMac and how to boot from that and replace the iMac HD w CCC using a folder containing your HD to replace the iMac

Can anyone help me w this ??? Thanks Erik

Stuck at Apple Logo with Spinning Process Wheel under it after CCC Restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.