Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing a new printer

My old printer (HP Deskjet F4180 All in One) has pretty much bit the dust in that it has stopped scanning or copying. I have purchased a new printer (HP 3050) and want to install this. I have forgotten whether I must UNINSTALL the old printer first? And then proceed with installing the new one? Sorry.... it has just been many years since I needed a new printer..... need a short refresher course! THANK YOU!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:58 PM

There is no reason to keep the old printer in the setup. It is no longer being used, Right? So just highlight it and click the Minus Sign. the go ahead with the install of the new one.

5 replies

Sep 1, 2012 4:17 PM in response to lutra

lutra wrote:

True enough. This old printer is out the door! Clicking the minus sign will uninstall the old software? Or is that unimportant to UNINSTALL it?

No the siftware willstay as that is an Apple/Mac thing. Right now I have many hundreds of Printer drivers (Files) on my Mac that I never put there. They are loaded by Apple so you can install all those printers when and if you need to.

Don't run the software that came with the printer, unless instructed to. Just select the printer model from the list of printer that comes up when adding a New Printer. If it is not listed then you may need to update the printer list from Apple. Sorry it's been awhile since I installed a printer on my Mac, or any computer. The ones I originally setup still work.

Sep 1, 2012 4:24 PM in response to Shootist007

That makes sense. Thank you! I did just recently install LION OS X and it seems that I read there would be a lot of printer drivers automatically installed with it. I guess that makes it convenient. Hopefully and probably, my new printer is one of those! You made this very easy for me.... and I am grateful!

P.S. I had the old printer for 5 years and it was great.....and it does still print, just won't copy or scan, despite my best efforts at FIXES. SO time for the new one!

installing a new printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.