Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Import Can't See Apple Desktop Folders

For whatever reason, when importing pictures from my Desktop, Aperture can't see any folders on the Desktop. I can see folders from other places within the Mactintosh HD.

What is likely the reason and what do I need to change to let Aperture see the folder structure of the Desktop?

Running the latest version of Aperture in Mountain Lion.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:57 PM

20 replies

Sep 1, 2012 5:45 PM in response to Michael M Cohen

Hi Michael.

How are you importing? Is the folder browser in the Import pane perhaps minimized? If you see a stretched equals sign at the very bottom of the pane, double-click it.

Or are you able to select "Desktop" -- with the right-pointing arrow at the end of the line -- and then files but no folders show in the next column?

A screen shot might help.

Sep 1, 2012 7:16 PM in response to Michael M Cohen

Is it only the Desktop that has this problem? What of you select one of the other folders, what happens?

If it is only the Desktop what happens if you look at it in the Finder?

Did you move the original plist file back to the Preference folder? If so move it out again and reboot the machine and try it. Staring in Lion it is possible that when you quit and restart an application depending on what else is going on the machine the app might be left in memory and when it restarts it keeps the data it has in memory. The only way to be sure it is really reinitializing is to reboot.

Sep 1, 2012 7:34 PM in response to Michael M Cohen

So is it only the Desktop that Aperture is messing up or does it happen to all the folders shown in the Import pane?

The next step would be to create a new user, log in as that user and try Aperture from that account on a new library. This will help narrow down the problem. If it occurs in the new user account also then you have a system wide problem and reinstalling Aperture would be my next recommendation.

If it doesn't happen in the news user account then the problem is in your user environment.

One thing to try before all that would be to create a new empty library and run Aperture on that. I doubt the problem is library related but this would at least confirm that.

Sep 2, 2012 10:35 AM in response to Michael M Cohen

Interesting for some reason Aperture not seeing the Desktop folder sticks in my mind but I can't off the top of my head remember why. I'll try to search around and see if anything turns up.

In the meantime you still need to do the troubleshooting steps I suggested in my last post. New library under your account and then running as a new user with a new library.

regards

Aperture Import Can't See Apple Desktop Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.